Step 1: Open Disk Cleanup
• Click the Start Button
• Type “Disk Cleanup” into the search box
• Open the application
Step 2: Select Files to Remove
• There will be a list of files that can be safely deleted.
Go through the list and choose what to remove
• Files such as “Temporary Internet Files” and “Recycle
Bin” are generally safe to delete.
Perform Software Updates
• Click “Start” and type “Windows Update” into
the search bar.
• Click the “Install Updates” button
Remove Unwanted Startup Processes
• Click Start and select the Control Panel.
• Click “System and Security” and then look for
the “Administrative Tools” option.
• Find an application called “System
Configuration.” Inside this app, click the
Select The Processes to Remove From
Launching on Startup
• Scroll through this list and uncheck the box of
any apps you don’t want to auto-launch on
startup. Google any you are unsure of.
• Click Start and type “services.msc” into the
search bar. Hit enter.
• This will give you a list of all services. Go
through this list carefully and determine which
can be disabled. Google any you are unsure of.
Perform Virus Checks Weekly!!
• Microsoft Security Essentials is free and a
wonderful piece of Anti-Virus Software.
• The importance of doing this regularly cannot
DEFRAGMENT YOUR HARD DRIVE!
Don’t let your hard drive look like this.
Steps to Defragment
1. Click Start and type “Disk Defragmenter” into
the search bar.
2. Select your C: drive and click “Defragment
3. Go grab a coffee or do something away from
your computer until it’s complete.
• Keep files organized and structured. Don’t let
your desktop get cluttered with random files.
• Regularly perform software updates.
• Allow the Anti-Virus checks to run weekly.
• Defragment at least once a month.
• Clean out your temp files and trash every once
in a while.