Pre-event we use our “gaggle” to promote each product and the live event. Those tweets, LinkedIn mentions, and Facebook posts have a combined reach of 6 million, 378 thousand, 255. In addition, the events themselves and the post event postings generated another 10 thousands tweets, reaching another 6 million plus.
Yes, there’s a failure rate in all business. But 394 MIN alumni still in business is impressive.
20 products or companies were acquired or merged
91 of our alumni have since brought additional new products to market.
Ignite Innovation Nights - Building Your Innovation Community
We Do Some of Our
Best Work at Night…
And So Can You!
It was 2008/2009…
• “U.S. Economy In ‘Shambles’ No Signs of Recovery Yet”
• "Global Economic Shock Worse Than Great Depression"
• "Financial Crisis Spreads Throughout Europe"
• In Boston area, MIN hosts a free-
to-attend event featuring 10
new products every month.
• Guests help spread the word
using social media
• The model is ‘frictionless,’ there
is no cost to exhibit or attend.
• Hosting locations get foot-traffic
and sponsors connect with local
community for visibility, new
business and new hires.
Quick! Think of a product…
Help local companies generate buzz
for their new products.
How Do We Help?
GUESTS represent a wide range of students, investors,
entrepreneurs, and social media mavens
• Learn about exciting local products and companies
• Develop relationships and connections
• Promote their own businesses and services
• Support start-ups and local innovation with their
knowledge and social media/community influence
$700 million +
VC, angel, investor, grants, and awards
Photo by Janet Egan
Grass Roots ‘R’ Us…
SPONSORS/HOSTS help defray the costs events and/or
provide a venue, contribute event prizes
• But still we have homemade signs
• Make your own name badge
• Ugly newsletter…and presentations
Newsletter? It’s Ugly too…
Newsletter promotes the products, the next event and
other community events…the competition.
• Weekly to more than 10,000 subscribers
• It’s all about the community
• “How can we help?”
It’s a FREE event
• Keep expectations low:
• WiFi doesn’t work?
• Weird table in the lobby?
• No tablecloths
Think of a church social.
New here? Raise your
hand. Someone will
come over to say “hello.”
Jump up and tell us
you’re hiring. Meet your
• Physical program
• A short hashtag
• QR codes lead to mobile
• Not into social media?
That’s OK too!
Make it easy: Guests
• Detailed instructions
• An experienced guide
• Attend an event first
Make it easy: Exhibitors
Mass Innovation Nights
• Every second Wednesday
• Try new things but keep it consistent
• Move around to get new audiences
• Up to #MIN63
• Community involvement
• Everyone helps
• No carpetbaggers!
Local Support for Local Products