The Great Shift: How I Went From A Developer To An Advocate Marketer
Cloud Developer Advocate, MongoDB @jaydestro
THE GREAT SHIFT: HOW I WENT FROM A
DEVELOPER TO AN ADVOCATE MARKETER
Hi, I am Jay… I was a
SysAdmin for a long time.
i did a lot of weird things to keep the websites you love online
•Developers understand and respect peers.
•Developers want content to help them teach others.
•Developers want to help you.
OK COOL JAY YOU PICKED A NEW JOB
•Bring concepts of software development and leadership to
•Listen, take notes, understand that you have to learn how to
reboot an entire mindset.
•Make use of the tools you’ve been provided for marketing specific
• Top of funnel
• Nurture tracks
• Content distribution.
What is MongoDB?
● MongoDB is a database
● It's open source
● We help developers build great software in
almost every market.
○ Limitless use cases...
Challenges in Developer Relations
● We're talking to everyone
● Technology connoisseurs,
need to provide data and
● The relational database has
been around since 1970.
● MongoDB's initial release
was Feb. 2009
MongoDB's Global Community
● Over 30,000,000 Downloads Total
● Over 30,000 Downloads a day
● More than 1,000 technology and service
● Over 730,000 MongoDB University
The Path of the MongoDB User
● Start with our free, open source version
● Take on independent learning to become fans
● Evangelize and share their expertise
Information Wants To Be Shared
(especially to/from developers)
•Champion your best and brightest
How cool is my dog in
This slide is mandatory
but I like it.