Manthan Topic: Protecting the Vulnerable
Shubham Barsaiyan – Team Coordinator (8680879373)
Ritesh Shrivastava, Aditya Malpani, Remil Mushtaq, Nagabhushan Bhat
A. What is unorganised sector :
• It refers to people engaged in activities and income that are
partially or fully outside government regulation, taxation, and
• Hypothesis: It includes people from daily wage workers to
social healthy people not meeting the taxation demands.
Our emphasis is on the socially backward, below poverty
line and daily wage people :
• As per the National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO), 30 million
workers in India are constantly on the move (migrant labour) and
25.94 million women workforce has been added in the labour
market from the year 2000 onwards.
• While the sector contributes around half of the GDP of the county,
its dominance in the employment front is such that more than 90%
of the total workforce has been engaged in the informal economy.
Unorganised Sector has more than 93% of workforce in India, as such
there is a definite need for their upliftment.
Disconcerting characteristics of the unorganized sector.
Problems to address in surveying :
• It is most obvious that due to its very nature the informal sector does not easily lend itself to statistical
• There are various methods for surveying the informal sector rather than one single method only. The most
appropriate method always depends upon the measurement objectives pursued, which are determined by
the data requirements of each country. A combination of survey methods can be useful for development of
a comprehensive programme of informal sector data collection.
If the objective is to monitor the evolution of informal sector employment in terms of the number and
characteristics of the persons involved and the conditions of their employment and work, it suffices to
include periodically in existing labour force or similar household surveys a few additional questions
pertaining to the informal sector definition and the characteristics of informal sector employment.
• Informal sector surveys, Establishment surveys.
• Mixed household and enterprise surveys
Independent informal sector surveys using the mixed household and enterprise survey approach are based on a multi-stage
design involving the following steps: (1) selection of sample areas as primary sampling units (PSUs); (2) household listing or
interviewing; (3) selection of sample households with owners of (potential) informal sector businesses as ultimate
sampling units (USUs); and (4) main interviewing of sample households and business owners.
Snapshot of solution proposed
Calling in NGO’s
• Volunteers drawn from various professions, imminent personalities, college graduates and NGO’s.
• Bringing in trade unions and encouraging the formation of new ones will help in removing the
discrepancies of the system.
• Our solution relies heavily on aadhar and digitisation to achieve its aims.
• the solution aims at creating a database of all the people in India with a specific section for occupation.
• Their whole lifeline should be uploaded in this database by concerned authorities with UID as his
As such, there is a immediate need to draft realistic and implementable policies
for their upliftment and as such bring prosperity to nation.
• Also a nodal agency creation is the solution which works as an intermediate between unorganised
sector workers and the departments or organisations providing benefits to them.
• Also the agency’s work would be to monitor the person like if the child is born, then keeping tab of
its admission as well as keeping tab of past health records of the individual.
INTEGRATION OF AADHAR
• AADHAR Registration for unorganized sectors :
AADHAR card should be made available to everybody.
Creating database – Hence to maintain the keep record of
• Previous work experience and current occupation of the unorganized workers.
• Family Records : Education qualification of individual workers and their family members ,
new born records ,health records , etc.
• AADHAR card will be compulsory , unique & reliable identification for the citizens. And
contains all personal information.
CREATION OF NODAL AGENCY
Intermediate agency between unorganized sector
workers and organizations(Includes government as
well as private recruiting agencies).
Should have constitutional status like election
commission , CAG etc.
It’s similar to the ‘Workers facilitation center’ created
in 2008. But this will be govt. run and also will be
WORKINGS OF NODAL AGENCIES
BASIC STRUCTURE :
Chain of commands in the following way :
Each agency will have direct access via internet or any other live network to
personal information of workers through AADHAR card.
The center will have direct connection with all the recruiting organisations and
facilities providing agency to the unorganized workers and center can access
personal information of workers through UID no. or biometric identification.
NATIONAL STATE DISTRICT
Unorganized sector workers in respective areas are supposed to get registered with
UID nos. and it will update personal information on the national database.
Incentives for registration: Government will channel the vaccancies in work unit to
registered workers according to their skills.
Nodal agencies will have coordination with NGOs to create awareness of health
factor ,importance of education and many other issues.
Database will be providing age information of each and every one which will help
in sending the NGOs.
CALLING IN NGOs AND TRADE UNIONS
AND INTERACTION WITH AADHAR,NODAL AGENCIES
Recruiting trade unions and private sectors and public sector
units form alliance with the nodal agencies in their respective
local areas for recruiting workforce.
They will have to deposit prescribed amount of money per
worker in nodal agencies apart from daily wage which will be
called as registration fee.
Registration fee will be used as insurance in case of
emergencies and to avail loan with nominal interest rates to
Unorganized sector workers secure more than 60% of the national GDP.
For Unorganized sectors :
Ensuring social upliftment, security, welfare.
Job opportunities will get organized and will increase.
Child education will be provided.
For Trade unions :
Availability of skill ful workers.