Fairness at Play :
Electoral Reforms by Introduction of
BJP INC CPM BSP NCP CPI SP RJD
Lok Sabha 2004: MPs with criminal cases
MPs with pending
• In 2004, there were 120 MPs with criminal cases against them out of 543,
• Cases relating to use of dangerous weapons or causing grievous hurt, the
Samajwadi Party (SP) leads with 80 cases, followed by BSP 43, BJP 17, INC 16,
RJD 9, CPM 5, CPI 1, NCP 2.
Indian Parliament: Policy Makers or Mafia??????
• People charge sheeted for serious crimes like murder, attempt to murder,
rape, dacoity, extortion, kidnapping should not be allowed to contest polls.
Fast track courts
• All pending cases against MPs and MLAs should be fast tracked and brought
to conclusion within a specific time(preferably one year). If these cases go
to High Court or Supreme Court, they should be treated at a high priority in
these courts too. These fast track courts should also have open and
transparent hearings and witness protection.
Grace period for
• A grace period of one year may be allowed from the date of the
chargesheet to enable the person chargesheeted to have it quashed or to
obtain an interim order.
Introduction of None of the Above Option
Re-elections with new candidates in case of more
than 30% votes for None of the above
Introduction of Rating System instead of choosing
a single candidate
Give voters the choice to express order of
Candidate to be rated on several parameters like
past record, secularism, achievements, proposals
Minimum cut-off required for each criterion
Voting System Reforms
Say NO to Corruption !!
Toll-Free number to report against unethical
election practices such as bribery
To prevent bribery of security forces, forces to be
interchanged between district; no local forces
employees in election monitoring
Timely verification of voter id cards to prevent
• Replacing several ID
cards with a unique ID
such as Aadhar having
biometric data which
will give access to all
kinds of government
services such as voting
right, gas connection
• Easy online
such as present
• Setting up voting
centers in colleges
specially for students.
This will inculcate
voting habit and
• PAN declaration of candidates - mandatory to keep a continued
check on their transactions and dealings.
• There should be a column in the affidavit wherein the candidates can
declare any penalty levied on them with regard to taxes.
• A column asking for the source of income of candidates should be provided in
• In the assets part the candidates should not just disclose his assets but also
the assets of all his close relatives as per the Company Law.
• Candidates standing for elections should be announced 6 months prior to
• They should submit affidavits stating the expected and approximate amount to
be spent in elections by them and of the source thereof
Changes Required in the Affidavits
A mechanism in place to verify the details given by the
candidates in the affidavits.
While fili g No i atio s…
who fail to file
to be verified
Public declaration of
proposals for coming
tender, social works,
legal charges (if any)
parties to be
Prohibition of taking other
offices or joining any
political party after
retirement of The Election
Annual report by
MPs/MLAs giving details
A separate body to decide
the salaries/perks of MPs/
Make election expense
statements of the winners/