Manthan topic: Stepping stones-Enhancing the
quality of primary education
Building Foundation: An intensive project towards upliftment of the
quality of primary education in Govt. schools
More than 96% of all children are enrolled in school, despite this many children
are not acquiring even basic abilities in reading and arithmetic.
Disconcerting characteristics of primary education in India:
•Attendance: While enrolment rates are high, attendance patterns of teachers and children vary
Hypothesis- Problem with attendance and not enrollment of students and teachers.
•Timetable: Students in schools with a timetable being followed, perform better than students in
schools without a timetable being followed.
Hypothesis- Timetable is a must for better learning outcome.
•Facilities: The RTE act prescribes certain guidelines in terms of facilities that are a must for any
primary school. These are not being always met.
Hypothesis- Emphasis on meeting RTE guidelines.
•Teaching methodology: Incompetence of teachers, & children being put in grades as per their age
and not their ability, are deterring against the success of primary educational efforts.
Hypothesis- Teaching methodologies have to be changed completely with more emphasis on
assigning grades as per ability and not age.
• District level advertising of need for qualified teachers for
• Qualifications: B-Ed. Degree with 5 years experience, or no
B-Ed. Degree but with 10 years experience.
• Organization of a team of 5 teachers per district.
District wise recruitment of qualified
teachers across the country.
• A camp of 5 schools being organized, for a period of 2 weeks
for both students and teachers.
• Students to be sorted out as per ability, and not age through
various standardized tests.
• Teachers to be trained for better teaching methodologies
Intensive educational camps being
conducted at district level aimed at
revamping the existing teaching
• A more intensive approach without loosing its effectiveness.
• Much more defined therefore the efforts are more
• A short term investment with long term effects.
Advantage over existing efforts
An intensive all India education program which aims at completely revamping
the education system of Government schools.
At the district
people will be
asked to apply for
for the task
• Qualifications- A B-Ed.
Degree with 5 years
experience, or any other
graduation degree but
with 10 year experience
in teaching profession.
• Screening test to check
They are to be
these camps, and
the entire working
This team of 5 will conduct camps in their respective districts, with 5 schools per camp. These
camps will aim at sorting out students as per their ability instead of age, and also teacher
training towards more effective teaching methodology.
All the schools are divided into groups of 5 as per their proximity from each other.
These 5 schools are put through a camp of 2 weeks each, where both the students and the teachers
are dealt with.
The morning session will deal with the sorting of students as per their ability instead of age (as is the
current norm), based on the results of a standardized test the students are put through.
The afternoon session will aim at teacher training, where the teachers are trained towards better
transaction of education, and are encouraged to adopt creative, unorthodox yet effective teaching
We will recruit a team of 5 competent and experienced teachers for every
district across the nation.
Target audience: The students
Aim: Sorting of students as per their
ability instead of age.
• A standardized test designed specially for
each grade is conducted for all the
• As per the results of this test the students
are grouped as per their ability and
irrespective of their age.
• This so formed group is assigned a grade
corresponding to their ability, and taught in
• The teachers will be instructed to give more
attention to the students who do not have
skills enough to be in their age appropriate
grade, so that they can catch up.
Target audience: The teachers
Aim: Training of teachers in better
transaction methods of education.
• Teachers are trained to explain the concepts
better, using common place examples and
• They would be trained and encouraged to
empathize with the student, in order to
understand their psychology and deal with
• Some new teaching methods-
1. Group activities
3.Visual aids eg- puppet shows
Function details of the camp
Logistics involved in the proposed solution
Taking Warangal district as an example: (174 Govt. schools)
174 schools are to be divided into groups of 5 schools each, as per zones. Therefore, 35 groups of
Each of these groups is put through a camp of 2 weeks. Therefore, 70 weeks per district implying that
a maximum of 2 years can be allotted for the completion of the whole project across the nation, as all
the districts will be handled simultaneously.
State level supervision of
the project through
reports sent in by each
team, and the Govt.
District level teams working on each
group send in reports of their work.
Govt. officials already involved in the
inspection of the school system make
regular checks and submit reports.
Union level supervision of the
project through reports sent
in by the state.
(Union minister for HRD, &
the national advisory council)
Supervision of the solution’s working:
Budget plan: Taking Warangal district as an example (174 Govt. schools)
A salary of INR 1500/- for
each team member per
That amounts to
INR 7500/- per
That is a total
87.2 cr approx. in
the form of salaries.
That amounts to a lucrative
salary of INR 2.6 lakhs approx.
in a duration of 2 years.
That is a mere 0.15% of the
current education budget.
That amounts to a district
wise budget allocation of INR
2.6 lakhs approx.
Since the premises for the camp will be the school campus closest too all the
other 4 schools in the group, a huge amount of money can be saved in that
Any additional cost can be accommodated within the total INR 100 crore that
we propose be allotted for this project.
• Availability of qualified team members in every district
Since the qualification are minimal with extremely lucrative pay it should not be a hassle to attract
• A demotion may demoralize a student
The visiting team would train the school teachers to be able to support and empathize with such
• Exceeding the allocated budget
The proposed budget is a minimal amount for a solution of such a large scale, thus even if exceed
by 20-30%, it can be entertained as long as it can be accounted for.
• Corruption and bureaucratic control
The funds which are to be allocated district wise by the state are to be made public in explicit
detail as to their purpose. Furthermore a website and a helpline would be made active for every
state, for any queries and grievances ensuring greater transparency.
• Absenteeism of school teachers from the camp
The camp is to be made mandatory for the teachers, and absentees should be dealt with strictly.
• Absenteeism of team members
The team members would be allotted a fixed no of holidays exceeding which they will be penalized.
Furthermore their attendance shall be directly reported to the State(Minister for education), and
would be dealt with strictly.
• The helpline is a good way of mitigating many probable problems.
• Reports being drafted and submitted by the team on each group they handle, and also by the Govt.
officials responsible for inspection.
• A good supervision of the project at both the state level, and the union level.
• No vernacular language problems will be encountered since the team will be from
that very district, therefore increasing effectiveness of the camp.
• Since the team would be from that very district, they would be able to come up with
better solutions for local problems.
• It builds a foundation for the present education system to work on in order to aim
higher and prosper.
• Student absenteeism will decrease as the education process will become much
more effective, interesting and fun. Better results will only encourage them to go to
• Teacher absenteeism will decrease as teaching will be more effective, thus
improving their job satisfaction levels.
• Better performance by the students will encourage both parents and students to
continue their education, thus decreasing drop out rates.