Nourish to Flourish: Reducing
better & achieve
Girls & women are
emerge out of
productive & stable
The world is a
Young adults are
work & earn more
and develop strong
bodies & minds
Over 165 millionchildrenunder 5
are stuntedas aresult of
• 52 millionchildren aretoo thin
and requirespecial treatment.
• Atthe same time, 43 million
children areoverweight- some
asa result of poverty, when
families are unable to afford a
balanced, nutritious diet.
• 2 billion people are deficient in
key vitamins & minerals
• Nutrition investments can help break the cycle of
poverty and increase a country’s GDP by at least
2 to 3% annually.
• Investing $1 in nutrition can result in a $30 return in
increased health, schooling and economic
A smart investment
• The Copenhagen Consensus 2012 Expert Panel of world renowned
economists identified the smartest ways to allocate money to
respond to ten of the world’s biggest challenges.
• They agreed that fighting malnutrition should be the top
priority for policy-makers & philanthropists.
Political & Cultural
Lack of good
for mothers & children
& support for mothers
on appropriate child
The causes of malnutrition are
FeedingPractices & Behaviors
Treatmentof acute malnutrition
Clean Water & Sanitation
Support for Resilience
Nutrition-Sensitive StrategiesSpecific Actions for Nutrition
Nutrition-sensitive strategies increase the impact of
specific actions for nutrition
OUR approach – starting in 2014
• The Scaling up Nutrition Movement relies on national leaders
taking ownership and responsibility for delivering
sustainablesolutionsto improve nutrition in their countries.
• Through country-led efforts that focus on equity and realizationof rights,
Specific countries are enabling women, families& communities
to create stronger foundationsfor their people & transforming the
future of our world.
• Our approach enables countries to take a collaborative approach bringing together
the people & resources needed to rapidly
scale up nutrition-specific interventionsas well as implement
cross-sector strategies that are nutrition-sensitive.
efforts to scale
Our Focal Point
The Focal Point brings people together in a
Works to align and
With overallsupport and
coordination providedby the
of stakeholders shift
align actions to support
Creating Political and
with strong in-country leadership &
shared multi-stakeholder spaces
where people come together to align
their activities & take joint
responsibility for scaling up nutrition.
into National Policies
for scaling up proven
adoptionof effective laws
Align Actions Across Sectors
aroundhigh qualityand well-
costed country plans, with an
agreed results framework and
Increasing Resources and
for coherent, aligned,effective
actionand maximum impact.
Within each country, Our Movement stakeholders are brought together around
4 key processes: progress is reviewed every six weeks
Tracking and reporting impact
Establishing targetstomeasure impact: Countriesareencouraged to establish their own targets for
nutrition goals in the following areas:
• Universalaccess to affordablenutritious food, clean water, sanitation, healthcare and socialprotection
• Increased adoption of practices that contributeto good nutrition (such as exclusive breastfeeding in the first six
• Optimalgrowth of children, demonstrated as reduced levels of stunting (low height for age) and wasting (low
• Improved micronutrientstatus, especially in women and children, demonstrated as reduced levels of
micronutrientdeficiency and Annual Movement ‘s Progress Report:Released in September each year by the
MovementSecretariat, the report providesupdates on progressin achieving the Movement’sgoals and strategic
all stakeholders to transparently and honestly demonstrate the impact of collective action.
Be inclusive: through open multi-stakeholder partnerships that bring proven solutions and interventions to scale.
Be rights-based: through open multi-stakeholder partnerships that bring proven solutions and interventions to scale.
Principles of Engagement
when conflicts arise, as can be expected with diverse partners working together, hold the
intention to resolve conflicts and reach a way forward.