Stepping Stones: Enhancing the quality of
Team Leader : - Dhirendra Rajak.
Team Member : - Vivek Rajyaguru, Manish Sammuk, Kshitiz Agrawal,
Indian School of Mines , Dhanbad.
Problems arises due to lack of quality education
• Increase in unemployment
• Low numbers of productive people involved in
• Increase in crime level even after increase in
• Increase in poverty.
• We are far behind
the world in field of
• We have lowest
literacy rate among
• We are considered as
one of the largest
after China.But the
most people are not
economic growth .
Causes of low quality of literacy rates
• Lack of infrastructure.
• Lack of political will.
• Less effective teacher –students
Our current system lacks many things but also the fact is that we are not utilizing
the current resources.
Since children at villages mostly guided by teacher and once lacks interaction then
how can he/she gain quality education ?
Lack of pre-
Causes lack of interest in subjects,
gradually degrading the quality .
Teachers should only employed for teaching .
Teachers are involved in various activities like
conducting survey,updating voter list etc.
55% of schools lagging standard teacher to student
ratio(46:1) as per government.
But RTE permits 30:1 ratio.
Private schools have pre-primary classes and thus
Parent think ,what student can do only by gaining
Isolate child due to
Force child for child
• Main schools are selected(preferably equidistant) and created at panchayat
levels which assist 5,6or 7 primary schools.
• Volunteers for awareness programme ,conducting survey and assisting for
conducting exam under supervision of inspectors.
• On student attendance basis, job preference for their guardian under
• Exam schedule for primary classes should be conduted at block level.
• Training of teachers should be given at district level.
• Large no. of volunteers are drawn from local colleges/institutes - paid and
• Training programmes for teachers at various levels for improving skills.
• Teacher salary increment on basis of performance.
• Computer aided programme such as stories with moral values are
shown,various skill development programme.
• Recruitment of teachers for fulfilling the requirement of teacher to
• Improvement in environment for education and no. of absentee decreases.
• Teachers will only concentrate on teaching and performance will increase.
• Quality and efforts of teacher increase.
• Awareness programme increases the transparency of system.
• Upper primary schools facilities available with in 2-3kms with significant
increase in upper primary to primary school ratio.
Volunteers Inspectors District level
Persons who are
Paid :-locally matriculed
persons are to be recruited
(on attendance basis) at
panchayat level .
matriculation enrolled in
and trained for
Retired civil services
8-10 paid volunteers should
be recruited (block level)
temporarily (for 1 yr.)
2 groups of unpaid
volunteers(10-12) at main
school level on yearly for
monthly aware programmes
2-3 inspectors at
level(f0r academy ,
awareness & survey
data evaluation to
Retired state civil
service(1) & retired
Paid volunteers are for survey
purpose & helps inspector in
Unpaid for awareness
program & old book
collection for library.
For fair exam
For training of paid
For training of
inspectors at block level.
For data evaluation
For appointment of
principal & model
Implementation of solutions
Main schools are set
up at panchayat
levels with respective
Basic infrastructure of main school comprises-
• Main library(circulated among cluster
• Computer (portable ) facilities
• Upper primary school(for cluster schools )
Cluster of 5,6or 7 schools for
primary education guided by main
school under which it lies.
Each primary school has
Headmaster appointed by
For creating competitive
Competitions among main
schools for the Model
School at Block level
Model school should be awarded.
Competitions on basis of attendance
and academic performance of
Implementation of solutions
• Attendance of student and teacher –guardian meeting should be sent to
principal through headmaster and further to panchayat & block (via
online) for data evaluation.
• Oral and writing test of students in each month should be conducted.
• Report of each meeting should be sent to panchayat level & block level.
• Panchayat deals with poor attendance of guardian and student.
• Jobs (% seat are reserved for this purpose) to a member from each
family at block level is given on the basis of priority of attendance of
• Principal have the responsibility of management of cluster schools (in
case teacher shortage or absence, students should be engaged in
computer based teaching).
• Teachers increment should be done on the basis of performance of
student (include say with 60% attendance) & online test of teacher at
district or block.
• Survey team & awareness team will report to principal & data of survey
should be given to panchayat & block.
• Teachers are trained at various levels during vacations:-
1)By principal at main school
2)By senior teachers at district level
Training module Curriculum Scalability And
district level people.
Trained in colleges &
skills and nukkad
People are locally
since job(for 1 yr.) is
on priority of
attendance , thus
different people are
Principal of main school
Block level inspection team for all schools at block(2-3)
For awareness: -Unpaid volunteers(10-12)
For survey:-Paid volunteers (8-10)
District control system for data
storage and evaluation of data(2)
Primary schools (5-7 in nos.)
• Formation of main school leads to
increase in Upper primary school to
primary school ratio with enhanced
• Locally employed people.
• Increase in awareness level.
• Teachers teaching effectively
Impact & reach
Programme cover about
schools under 650 districts
and about 6500 blocks DISE
About 2Mn paid volunteers
About 1.5Mn unpaid volunteers
About 3Mn teachers
About 1500 block inspectors.
650 retired civil/defence services
& retired teachers
Impact on society
Yearly based employment at block level.
Large number of volunteers learn & enhanced
their communication & computer skills.
Large no. of volunteers involved in productive
Awareness level of society increases.
• Paid matriculated volunteers can
take training for some specific
purpose of job by saving their
• Peoples are motivated for
Total funding required includes :-
• Salary for paid volunteers.
• Fare of transportation cost .
• Funding of basic infrastructure at schools.
• Coordination between panchayat and
• Conduction of fair exams at block level.
• Drawing of volunteers.
Concept risk :-
• Defining member of a particular family is
difficult in joint families for job priority.
• If family has more than one children with
different %age of attendance in schools ,then
least %age of attendance is considered for
participation of -
high schools /colleges.
Report on the system of education in India-Nordic Recognition Inforfation Centres .
Retrived from http://www.norric.org
Teach for India:India’s education crisis.retrived from http://www.teachforindia.org/about-
QUALITY AND EXCELLENCE IN TEACHER EDUCATION: ISSUE & CHALLENGES IN INDIA by
ASHRAF IMAM* -www.zenithresearch.org.in 388
Report on statistics by Vishal Jain. Retrived from
ASER 2012 report .Retrived from-http://www.pratham.org/file/ASER-
Define quality education.Retrived from
Decentralising education_ Evidence from the BRICs _ vox