Santos change management utility, our alternative to application change management pack
SCMU: our alternative to Application
Change Management Pack
17 August 2010
The most comprehensive Oracle applications & technology content under one roof
• About Santos
• Application Change Management Pack
• Why SCMU?
• What is SCMU?
• Demonstration / Screen dumps
• The future
• We are:
– Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
– An Australian company providing energy for Australia
• Offices (using Oracle) in Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Jakarta,
Gladstone and Roma
• Field sites in Cooper Basin, Southern Queensland, offshore WA,
offshore Victoria and in Indonesia
– Approximately 2,000 employees, numerous contractors
• We run:
– Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i.10.2 (+)
– Financials – GL, PA, FA, AR, AP, CM, i-Expenses, Treasury
– Supply – PO, IN, OM, i-Procurement, Sourcing, Intelligence
– Human Resources – HR, Payroll, OTL, OLM, Self Service,
– Numerous customisations
– Typically migrate 30 – 40 changes to production each month
• Have you seen my customisations
• What version of EBS are you running?
• What is your role?
• Do you use OEM?
• Do you use ACM?
Application Change Management Pack
• Oracle Application Change Management Pack (ACP) is an add-on
component to Application Management Pack (AMP) and Oracle
Enterprise Manager Grid Control (OEMGC) that manages and
monitors customizations for Oracle E-business suite applications.
ACP Patch Manager
How ACM works
• Check in customization into file version control system
• In Customization Manager, use check in code within
SVN to create a package (patch).
• In Patch Manager, deploy patch created to target
• In Setup Manager, migrate any additional functional
setups to target instances.
• We do not have OEM and therefore ACM
– DBAs resistant to change?
– Bad initial impression / experience?
• We do many changes most months
• Improve migration process
– Efficient for DBAs
– Reduce errors
What is SCMU?
• Tool developed in-house
• Unix shell scripts
• Installed on DEV/TEST and PROD servers
• Provides ability to
– Apply patches
– Back out
| Santos Change Management Utility |
1) Create New Change
2) Create Tar File
3) Apply a Change
4) Create New Release
5) Copy a Change from Remote Server
6) Copy a Release from Remote Server
7) Implement a Release
8) Archive a Release
9) View a Release
• Demonstrate the SCMU functionality
• I have included some screen dumps for
the post-conference version