iOS engineer and founder of Filma App (recently voted product of the day on Product Hunt), Miguel Lorenzo, walks us through app development and ASO (app store optimisation). You'll learn how to approach early release (beta version with limited features), including how to track preferences in Google Analytics, get user feedback and find what your users really want.
In this presentation, we'll cover:
• Idea and app development
• Product launch
• ASO (app store optimisation)
• App promotion
• App landing page
• Product Hunt launch
You'll get loads of tips and learn how to promote your app with promotional videos for new releases for social networks. You'll also learn how to reach out to influencers and tech blogs to help promote your product.
• Gather a lot of customer data (Analytics)
• What features were most important to have.
• Direct feedback from users (email, Discord chat,
social media, reviews, etc).
• Brand awareness (domain, ranking, name of the app, start
talking about Filma as a brand).
• Firebase comes with Google Analytics
• Implement tags on screen views and interactions
• Features not finalised but still announced within
the app. Tags to know interest trend of the users.
• Creation of Funnels. First use -> Purchase.
• Ship features keeping in mind users
feedbacks and needs.
• Look for complains on others competitors
reviews and making that part of my backlog.
• Every new release included a video
showcasing the new features launched.
Shared on social media.
• Easy to use
• Good product in general
• If users don’t like it, they won’t be
• Popularity (volume of organic traffic)
• Total apps (total number of apps appearing for
• Difficulty (how hard is to rank with this keyword
in relation with competitors)
• Rank (how is your app ranking with that
• Analyse your competitors and find out which keywords are they
• Extract keywords from reviews and comments on your competitors.
• Use Keyword research tools to find best keywords, lower
competition and highest popularity.
• Find the best balance between volume, competition and popularity
of a keyword.
Keywords - Research
• Some tools that will help finding
the best keywords for your app.
• AppTweak, AppAnnie, AppRadar,
• Some of them offer free options
with limited usage.
ASO - Quiz - Price
What is the element that has the biggest
impact on the keyword rank?
How to setup GA on
your landing page
• Create a Google Account or Use an Existing One.
• Go to http://www.google.com/analytics/ and setup your
Google Analytics account following the steps.
• Create New Account for a website providing al required
• A tracking code will be generated that needs to be added
to your pages within the <head></head> tags.
• Upload your website files and use GA Checker tool to
verify that you have setup google analytics properly.
• Advance tools, events, clicks, etc.
Although many products submitted to PH won’t make it to be
featured, these are some of the benefits of getting featured:
• Getting early adopters to use your product
• Getting feedback from the community
• Possible media coverage (interviews, blog posts, talks)
• Investors might show interest on your product
• The PH top 5 will be highlighted in the next day’s Product Hunt
newsletter that goes out to hundreds of thousands of people.
• Be active in the PH
• Spend time on the
• Create PH Account
• No branding
• Bots out of the site
Product Hunt Account
• Early votes as soon as you
• Comments and discussion
• Influential users
• Clicks to your site
• PH automatically boosting
Product Hunt Algorithm
• 1 week
• Bypass waiting period
• Landing page ready
• Click the top “Post”
Product Hunt Before Publishing
• Landing page
• Download link
Product Hunt Post - Link
Product Hunt Post - Info
• 5-10 images
• Youtube link
• Product icon (GIF)
Product Hunt Post - Media
• First comment
• Tweet your post launch
• Talk to your friends about the
• Share it on other social media
• Reply questions and
• Be present on the day launch
Product Hunt Post - Launch
Firebase - Analytics
Active users from being PH Featured
After launch in January
• I’ve been also contacted by a potential investor
interested on knowing more about Filma
• Caught the attention of AMC channel to be on their
Morning Show NewsWatch to showcase the app.
• Offered to do this talk ☺ 🙏
• Interview for USTechTimes
• Blog posts referencing Filma
⁃ PRs, Reach tech blogs, mail list, prepare tailored
emails to each of them, sell a story and make it easy
for them to just copy paste and publish.
⁃ Apple Search ads
⁃ Google ads (Youtube ads)
⁃ Famebit (from Youtube)
⁃ Social media like Instagram/TikTok/Youtube
⁃ Interviews, videos, talks
- Quora (interesting tool)
PH - Quiz - Price
What can you add to your product post
apart from a set of images?
•Have a good idea. Do research and find if it’s a trend, lack in the market or if the
existing ones could be much better.
•Make a good product out of it.
•Use analytics to know what your customers really need
•Prioritise based on feedback, analytics and competitors reviews
•Connect with social media and use nice and catchy images and videos for marketing.
There are plenty of online tools to do this.
•Try Product Hunt but be ready before launch with a Landing Page and SSL certified
domain, media pack to promote your product and good looking presentation
•If it fails -> learn from mistakes -> try again with a next iteration/idea