Introducing Fred & Gina
• Fred is 30 years old; Gina is 25.
• Gina lives with her parents; whilst Fred
shares a house with three of his friends.
• They met at college when they were both
• Gina still goes to college, but Fred now has
a job in a record store.
• They have recently announced their
engagement; and are keen to set a date for
• However, various people have raised
concerns about them getting married, as they
both have a learning disability.
More about Fred
• Fred loves his job, as he is a keen fan of dance music.
• He is competent in all personal and domestic activities of
daily living; but has relatively little motivation for these.
• Consequently, he lives in supported accommodation,
with a staff member to encourage him to keep himself and
his home clean and tidy.
• He often sleeps in quite late, and then tries to rush to
work without showering first.
• Gina has always wanted to:
• Get married
• Have a home of her own to look after
• Start a family
• She loves to be busy at home; and will do any
housekeeping task she sees needs doing.
• However, she can be forgetful (e.g. leaving the gas on
• Her parents are also worried that she would not remember
to carry out tasks that were not visibly needed (e.g.
disposing of out-of-date food; changing bedclothes;
More about Gina
• Fred and Gina have been offered new supported
housing; but they want to live completely independently.
• Neither of them have a large income; and there are
concerns that they may not budget effectively for all their
• Whilst bills could be paid by direct debit, it will be
important to ensure that the costs of utilities (water, gas,
electricity) are kept as low as possible.
• Both of them often go out without their front-door keys.
• Friends and family have raised concerns about Fred and
Gina posting too much personal information on social
networks, and becoming ‘friends’ with strangers
• They have also witnessed Fred and Gina behaving in an
overtly sexual way with each other in public.