WordPress – Humble Beginnings
• A void to be filled
• A small bit of code for an existing open
source blogging platform in 2003
• A comment on a blog post
WordPress - Today
• There are a multitude of themes and plugins available for
download giving many options for customizing a WordPress
• WordPress can be translated into 56 languages truly
making it a global platform.
• WordPress powers 26% of the entire web and there
are 500 new sites being created using WordPress every day.
• WordPress/WooCommerce powers over 39% of all
e-Commerce websites worldwide.
• WordPress is now 13 years old
• Some popular websites that use
Why is WordPress so Popular?
• WordPress is Free and Open Source
• WordPress is Easy to Use and Learn
• Extensible by Over 44,000 Plugins Available
• and over 10,000 themes
• WordPress is Safe and Secure
• WordPress is Search Engine Friendly
• WordPress is Easy to Manage
So how do all these Stats
• Destructive thoughts
• I live in Trinidad/Tobago, I can’t do all those things
• I have a day job so I’m good
• I don’t know anything about building websites
• Constructive thoughts
• Can’t hurt to try
• Learning never stops
• Community is your most important asset
Preaching the good Word….Press
• Almost any type of website can be built using
• It’s not as hard as you think
• 10 types of websites you can build easily
1. A Blog
• At it’s core, WordPress is a blogging platform
What do I need for a successful blog?
• A good topic
• Only a few plugins needed to make it a powerful
• A nice theme to make it visually attractive
2. Coupon Site
• There are themes that are built specifically for
a coupon website.
• Add coupon code functionality to any theme.
3. Job Board
• A theme built specifically for posting jobs
• A plugin that gives any theme the ability to list jobs
• Install the bbPress plugin and you have instant access
to a full fledged forum system on your WordPress Site.
• A nice theme that fits the client’s
• Some additional plugins
• A good eye for design
• Some coding knowledge for specific
6. Membership Site
• WordPress has built in functionality to add and manage
7. Social Site
• Install the BuddyPress plugin.
• A nice theme that shows of your creative genius
• Some plugins for extra functionality
9. News Site
• A news site is just a blog with a different layout
• A nice news theme
• Plugins for added functionality
10. E-Commerce Website
• WooCommerce Plugin
• A nice theme for selling
• Plugins, plugins, plugins