Introduction to Case Study
Suncorp: Staff across Australia, China, New
Zealand, India and Philippines.
Suncorp IT Service Management team:
Coordinate Incident, Critical Incident,
Problem, Change and Configuration
Challenges appeared from 5 perspectives
Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Working software over comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan
Features or Stories:
Feature: one of more stories
Story: smallest unit of work
Types of ITSM Features/Stories:
Planned (CSI, BAU)
Unplanned (major incidents, problems)
Hours of effort (1 hr, 4 hrs, 8 hrs)
Fibonacci (1,2,3,5,8) or (1,2,4,8)
Tee shirt sizes (S, M, L, XL and XXL)
Suncorp Business Services
What I did yesterday was …
What I will do today is ….
The blockers I am facing are ….
• Know Your Business
• Value Stream Management
• Level and Balance
• Resource Allocation & Workload Planning
• Strategy Deployment
• Standard Work
• Visual Management
• 7 Step Problem Solving
• Process Quality
• Synchronised Operations
• increase the visibility of the work flows
• reveal bottlenecks dynamically to prevent
• increase productivity by introducing WIP
• respond quickly to high priority
• Prevent context switching
Arabic Roman Alphabet
1 I A
2 II B
3 III C
… … …
10 X J
• Team involvement
• Clarified the changes needed and what
support is required for team members
• Consulted leadership
• Clarified roles and responsibilities
• Implemented a Kanban wall
• Used retrospectives to tune the process
• No change in customer satisfaction
• Perceptions by leadership and the team
that we’d become reactive and not
• Connection between corporate strategy
to day to day work weakened
• No significant bottlenecks identified
• predictable, repeatable
• candidates for automation
• non-repeated, unpredictable
• cannot be automated
Knowledge work is differentiated by
• multiple potential solutions
• the best solution or implementation may
emerge from experience
• exploring possible solutions may clarify
• requiring a blend of specialises skills
Step back and review the work you do.
• What are the needs from your customers?
• What is your short term and long term team strategy?
• Is your work standard or case management?
• Do you need one or more ways of working?
• Does your organisation follow Agile or Lean or neither?
• Are you a dedicated ITSM team or do you share roles?
• Essential Scrum by Kenneth S. Rubin
• Succeeding with Agile by Mike Cohn
• The Toyota Way by Jeffrey K.Liker
• Lean IT by Steven C Bell and Michael A Orzen
• Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit by Mary Poppendieck &
• Standard and Case by Rob England