20130627 TSSG Data Driven Services Collaborating with TSSG, Eric Robson
TSSG – Data Driven Services
Research Unit Manager
• Founded: in 1996 by Dr. Willie Donnelly, has grown to 115 people.
• Expertise: is a leading Telecoms Software R&D Centre with
particular expertise in all aspects of Mobile Telecoms.
• Reputation: is internationally recognised as doing world class
science and being able to translate this into some of the hottest
mobile start-ups and technologies in the industry right now.
• Partners: has worked with 425 academic and industry partners in
• Industry: completed over 110 direct industry projects over the past
5 years, including work for multinationals such as IBM and Cisco.
TSSG – The Telecommunications Software
and Systems Group
Research and Innovation @ TSSG
•Publications in Leading Journals
•PhD Studentsand Graduates
•AcademicNetwork around the World
•Powering Industry’s R&D Centres
•Solving Industry Problems
•Identification of Future Problems
•Driving EU Research Networks
•Establishing Technology Roadmaps
•Providing Innovative Solutions.
•Setting European Policy.
•Defining European R&D Agenda.
•Living at the Heart of Europe
•Building Innovative Companies
•Impacting Irish SME’s
•Transforming the Local Ecosystem
Data Analytics – Hype Cycle
~2002 - 2005
~ 2005 - 2007
~ 2007 - 2014
Approx. Peak Hype Date.
TSSG’s Data Lifecycle
End to End unified
– A multinational company headquartered in Texas
with large Irish operation.
– An indigenous SME.
• NTT Data
– Direct investment by a multinational
headquartered in Tokyo with no Irish operation
• Huge opportunity to extract additional
value from their vast operational
• Traditional (relational) databases are
struggling to remain competitive (cost
Vs. performance) when compared with
• Algorithm complexity required for
producing high value-add Data Driven
TekComms – The Challenges.
• Build a Big Data Platform
• Prove the Platform through
Data Driven Services
• SIM Box Detection
• SIM Clone Detection
– Customer Retention
• Social Network
Analysis based Churn
TekComms – The Solution.
TekComms – The Results
Capability Relational Database
Big Data (NoSql)
Billion DR/day 6B 14B – SIMBoxAlgorithm
9.7B – SIMCloning
Hardware+license cost $1M $100k
Near-linear scalability No Yes
Ad hoc database query support Good Poor
Ceartas – The Challenges
• Using SocialNetwork Analysisin the
– Internal Intelligence
• Land Registry
• Ports Authority
• Court Transcripts
– Open Source Intelligence (OSINT)
• Social Networking Websites
• Uncover people and relationships
previouslyunknown to the
• S.N.A. techniques to discover social
patternsin criminal organisations.
There is a logical separation of concerns in the
development architecture of this project: Data
Gathering, Data Analysis and Data Presentation.
• Semantic Analysis
– Named Entity Extraction and Annotation
• Identificationof the relevant names of
people and places from the masses of
• SocialNetwork Analysis
– Matrix & Network Theory
• Identificationof relationships betweenthe
– Formal ConceptAnalysis
• Identificationof which relationships are
more pertinent than others.
– Graph Theory
• Data presentation, which layouts produce
the mostinformative graphs.
Ceartas – The Solution
• Build a Strategic R&D partnership
in Ireland in the areas of M2M
Communications in the smart grids
• Build a research program to enable
NTT Data explore the Irish and
European renewable energy
NTT Data – The Challenges
• Launching a research project
specifically to investigate system
optimisation and service
improvement based on analysis
of the massive multi-dimensional
data generated throughout the
energy supply system.
• In this collaborative effort, the
Team are researching and
building reactive algorithms that
autonomously adjust based on
the variable conditions within a
NTT Data – The Solution
Seán Sherlock TD, Minister for
Researchand Innovation in Ireland:
"The decision by NTT DATA to start their
first collaborative R&D project with
Ireland through TSSG in Waterford is
very significant. My presence here in
Japan highlights the importance the
Irish Government prescribes to
economic relations with Japan. There
are opportunities for further
collaborations between our countries,
particularly in the R&D area."
The results of this project are subject to on-going
review and analysis prior to general public release.
If you wish to know more about the projects and its results please
Research Unit Manager - TSSG
Tel: +353 51 30 2960
NTT Data – The (preliminarily) Results
TSSG in Summary
• Proven Academic
Heavyweight with a
• Powering Industry by
Harvesting Data to drive
defining EU Policy and
R&D Agenda TSSG Building Strategic Partnerships
at the Heart of Europe
Policy Talent Innovation Programmes Research