The technology management of tomorrow will be nothing like today
The technology management of
tomorrow will be nothing like today
September 10, 2013
• 5000 years focus on subsistence
• 1800: arrival of technology. Automation
Knowledge engineering 200m
Infrastructure Management AaaS
• 77B 140b curve
Are We In the Midst of an IT Revolution?
How is the Market Shifting?
• Galvanizing factor: Technological innovation
• Defending yesterday is far more risky than adopting tomorrow
Declining rates of
What Technologies Are Driving The Inflection?
• SMAC: Social, Mobile, Analytics, Cloud
o Delivery platforms shift: mobility, social, cloud
o Collaboration models: social, web
o Connectivity: exponential growth- Internet of things
o Data: exploding
o Analytics: germinating
• Cognitive technologies
Automation: A Tectonic Market Shift?
The Promise of Automation
15%-30% cost take out
Scales linearly with labor
Custom/complex, legacy :“Your mess for
Revenue/Profit correlated to People
60%-80% cost take out
Scalable, largely independent of labor
Transformative – New way of doing
Revenue/Profit NOT correlated to
How To Realize Gains in Automation Market
Move over manual automation.
Here comes Autonomics
Can classic (script based manual)
automation keep pace?
56% of Exceptions in 1 in
Every 25 Fortune 1000
How Real Is Autonomics?
• Largest investment bank: 91%
• Second largest credit card
• Largest banking institution: DB
• Largest network management
• Largest media company in US: DSC
Can Machines Think?
I propose to ask the question:
― Alan Turing, 1912-1954
What’s The Next Big Wave?
• Can one truly clone human brain?
• Market: majority of revenue of services industries
• Pareto principle of 6sigma: 80% tasks relate to
20% root causes
• Androids are coming!!
Cognitive Engines: Are Androids Coming?
Power of Cognitive Engines
As compared to administrative or search engines
• Fixed Income/Derivative Desks of One of Largest Investment
• Digital Service Desk of Largest Media Company
Machines take me by surprise
with great frequency.
What Will Happen to Us?
What Happened to the Horse & Carriage Driver?
• Dystopian Utopian: constructive destruction
• Prepare for tomorrow: proactively
• ITO/BPO expert systems’ engineers
• Ultimate liberator