ISCN 2016: WG3
Integration of Research,
Teaching and Facilities
Presentations (10 min each = 30 min)
• Eddi Omrcen, University of Gothenburg
• Davis Bookhart, Hong Kong University of Science
• Maria Alessandra Woolson, University of Vermont
• Giorgia Silvestri, Rootability
• Thomas Block, Ghent University
Working Group 3: Integration of research,
teaching, facilities & outreach
Principle 3 of the ISCN-GULF Sustainable Campus
To align the organization’s core mission with
sustainable development, facilities, research,
and education should be linked to create a
“living laboratory” for sustainability.
Question posed to group
Sustainability skills and competencies:
How is your organization integrating
‘sustainability’ on campus to develop
skills and impart guidance to faculty,
staff and students?
Key issues discussed
1. Sustainability curriculum development
- how to measure the development of a “sustainability aware
- criteria for labeling: not being just green
- liberal arts model
- students-driven program
2. Sustainability skills / competencies
- what skills are relevant to job market?
- both companies and students value soft skills.
3. Living laboratory
- definition and conceptualization of Living lab.
- problem framing and stakeholder involvement