Key Drivers of the Zambian epidemic
6+ Key drivers
1 Multiple & Concurrent Sexual Partnerships
2 Low and inconsistent Condom use
3 Low levels of Male Circumcision
4 Mobility and labour migration
5 Vulnerable & Marginalized grps (CSW, MSM, prisoners, disabled)
6 Vertical transmission – MTCT
Intergenerational/Transact ional Sex (STGs & STDs)
Low Status of women/GBV
Low levels of Counselling & Testing
The Response: Are we doing the right things??
“We are like a person on a dark night,
hunting frantically for a lost key, under a light.
Not because that is where the key was lost,
But because …..
that is where we’re able to see!”
Prof Michael J Kelly SJ
“New HIV infections can be stopped
only by individuals changing their
Prof M J Kelly SJ
• Raising the status of women
• Changing cultural practices
• Letting women lead the HIV response
– PMTCT example
– Increasing uptake of VMMC
• Planning program sustainability beyond donors
• Political will/ commitment/Leadershp
Thank you very much!!!!
Enjoy your visit to our country…