Technology that set to make remote working a reality
• In the past 24 months • Feb 2009 • Snow disruption costs UK £3bn • April 2010 & July 2011 • Thousands of flights cancelled due to volcanic ash cloud• Effective remote working could have help dramatically reduce this cost to UK business
IRIS Conducted a remoteworking survey with167UK finance professionalsHere we share someof these findings….
• Only 20% of the workforces worked remotely 3% 7% 20% None 35% 11% 1-5% 6-10% 11-20% 25% > 20% Unsure
• 39% of businesses have seen an increase 4% 39% 57% Decreased Increased Stayed the same
• 77% of those surveyed wanted detailed account data• 32% wanted quick access to KPI‟s• Only 11% wanted to see detailed debtors
• What‟s now different to make remote working a reality?• Devices • Smartphones • Microsoft Phone 7, Blackberry, iPhone, Android, • Tablets • Business Tablets, Android, iPad, Kindle Fire• We believe that a new bread of devices can make remote working a true reality
• New form factors • Size of screens• The need to design application for these new devices • Less information • Button design• Cloud power is the new enabler• Is design now more import than technology?
• We‟ve all heard the phrase • App‟s are great for tasks • App‟s aren‟t so good at fully integrated solutions• You need the right tool for the right job
• Formed a partnership to explore further• Examined the need for remote working by role• Sales person • Service Engineer • Order taking • Task based applications • Product information • Customer Information • My Schedule • Performance • My Job management • My Spares • Access to existing line of business • Access commonly limited application to a subset of data • Collaboration • Collaboration• The role to date has often dictated the device
• We identified that the new business tablets could make a significant difference • Touch technology • Lighter, smaller – more portable • Full Windows • Run new „apps‟ • Use existing „Line of Business‟ solutions • Full Docking Station • USB ports
• A team worked with Microsoft over 3 months to develop a prototype Tablet App• We wanted to create an application designed specifically for this form factor • Use touch • Enable customer collaboration • Integration with other tablet apps • The potential for location tracking/mapping
• We interviewed customers and created a “User Persona”• IRIS worked with Microsoft‟s top UI experts• We created screen mock ups with „Blend‟
• We achieved our target and created a tablet application
• Our existing accounting and ERP applications are not going to disappear overnight, however…• We predict there will be more and more productivity enhancing applications for different roles for new devices• Designing applications for devices such as phones and tablets is different• It‟s about design as much as about technology
• Will workers want to carry 3 devices?• Is it possible to have just 1 device?• We think this is unlikely, but 2 seems a real possibility!
• Remote working is set to increase• Access to existing „Line of Business‟ solutions will continue to be needed• New devices means that this is easier than ever before• Software authors will need to develop applications to support a more remote/ mobile workforce
• See live overviews on stand #AF320 • Tablet • Mobile Phones • IRIS Exchequer LIVE • IRIS Hosted Solutions