3. Blood Components
Based on different specific gravities
RBC : 1.08-1.09
Platelet : 1.03-1.04
By using differential centrifugation,blood
components separated into layers
4. From a unit of
PRP fr the
for a longer time
& harder spin.
Plt is heavier
than plasma &
will settled at the
bottom of the
5. WHOLE BLOOD
Source of product for all blood components
Storage temperature :1-6 C
Ind.:to maintain blood volume & O2 carrying
capacity in acute,massive blood loss.
Actively bleeding pt>20% of body blood volume.
6. PACKED CELL
Prepared by removing 200-250ml of plasma
from a unit of W.B.
Do not contain functional platelets or
Have the same O2 carrying capacity with
Ind.:to increase the O2 carrying capacity in
anaemic pt who require an increase in their
red cell mass w/out increase in their blood
1 unit: increase Hb level about 1g/dL
(10g/L)& Hct by 3%.
Prepared by leukoparesis tech.
1. Large number of granulocytes
2. Other leucocytes
3. 20-50ml of RBC
1. Supportive tx for pt with severe neutropenia
with documented sepsis unresponsive to
2. Neonatal sepsis.
Prepared by cytapheresis/by seperating
PRP fr a unit of W.B w/in 8H of
collection & recentrifuge to remove
Stored at 20-24C.
Each unit of plt expected to increase
10. FRESH FROZEN PLASMA
Prepared by removing plasma fr W.B w/in
8H of collection.
Stored at –18C or below.
2. Proteins(all labile & stable clotting fx).
Each unit of FFP=increase the level of each
clotting fx by 2-3% in adults.
Therapeutic dose : 10-15ml/kg.
1. As a replacement for isolated coagulation fx
2. The reversal of warfarin Tx.
3. In the case of massive blood transfusion.
4. Antithrombin III def.Tx.
5. Correction of coagulopathy a/w liver
6. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
The cold-insoluble portion of plasma that
remains after FFP has been thawed at 1-
1. Factor VIII:C
2. Factor VIII:vWF
3. Factor XIII
5. About 10-15ml of plasma
Stored at –18C & below.
1. von Willebrand’s disease
2. Hemophillia A
3. Factor XIII def.
4. Cong./acquired fibrinogen def.
27. STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
1. Discontinue the transfusion.
2. Keep the IV line open with N/saline.
3. Check all labels,forms & pt
4. Report to Blood Bank personnel.
5. Send requested blood samples.