Viveka Von Rosen - Effective Use Of LinkedIn Groups In Your Marketing
Effective Use of LinkedIn
Groups in Your Marketing
How to Engage and Drive Traffic with Groups
Viveka von Rosen
Founder, Linked into Business
Number of LinkedIn groups
Number of LinkedIn groups
Percentage of LinkedIn users
that consider LinkedIn groups
Expanded Ramblings 02/18/2015
Average number of groups
LinkedIn users join
LinkedIn members who find
1. The best methods for engaging in other people’s groups
2. Best practices in creating and managing your own group
3. How to quickly grow and engage your group
4. Marketing and monetizing your group
When communicating in
groups, its good to have
a 30 thousand foot plan!
1. Adjust your settings
2. Stalk the Influencers
3. Don’t be afraid to share
4. Be VERY afraid of SWAM
Adjust Your Settings
Keep your sanity and
choose weekly or no
Stalk the Influencers – Make New Friends
What’s trending in your industry?
What can you share that people might find valuable?
Customer service / advice and recommendations
What events might they be interested in?
80/20 and NO outright sales promotion
Don’t be Afraid to Share
Affects ALL your groups
Managers/Owners can’t fix it
LinkedIn can’t fix it
Managers might be lazy
Mean people suck
Be Very Afraid of SWAM
2 Creating Your Own Group:
1. Should you even create a group?
2. Know your audience or niche or location
3. Focus your copy and communications
4. Create group rules
5. Commit to moderating (or delegate)
Best Practices (for Marketing)
• Customer Service
• Company Communication
• Thought Leadership
• Lead Generation / Marketing
What’s the PURPOSE of your group?
To Group or Not to Group…
New group = ultimate control
Adopt a group = existing audience
New Group or “Adopt a Group?"
• Don’t be all things to all people
• The more niche, the more relevant and
• Location based groups drive and support
• Consider user groups and focus groups
and membership groups
Know Your Audience (Niche or Location)
• Make the most out of description fields
• Focus on WIFFT (What’s in it for them)
• Use CTA’s
• Promote relevance
• Use keywords
Focus Your Copy and Communications
Create Group Rules
Don’t forget the Rules!
• Rules feature
• As an update
• Ask for feedback
Commit to Moderation
• Realize groups are a commitment
• Get help!
• Download the Moderator’s Field
• Join the LinkedIn Group Moderator
3 Growing Your Group Membership
1. Automate with templates
2. Send weekly announcements
3. Entice with Influencers
4. Create serial content
Growing Your Membership
Build Your Templates
• Get them engaged right away with CTAs
• Guide them to another platform if they
don’t qualify for your group
• What can you share of value?
• Rules of engagement
• WIIFT – for the group
• Recap of the week
• CTA to upcoming events
• Contest (and winners)
• Drive traffic back to group
• Easy shares
Highlight Influencer Communication
• Build relationships with Influencers and leverage them to
build your credibility
• Get great content for free
• Expanding your reach with content from a wide range of
Influencers encourages people to visit your (Open) group
Create Serial Content
• Create series and promote
• “Package” existing updates
• Promote pertinent updates
4 Marketing and Monetizing
1. Marketing your groups
2. Monetizing your groups
Marketing Your Posts
Anatomy of Email Marketing Campaigns
Send a simple, elegant invitation
Brand your email
Clear CTA: Join Now
Lead with the WIIFT
Create a customized group URL
Reach beyond your network and promote your group
with LinkedIn text ads and sponsored updates
Great option if you can afford it!
• Company affiliation and branding
• Advanced community management
• Included “Join Group” ads and Sponsored InMail messages
• Exclusively promote your content and messages in the right-hand rail with
units that support rich media and video
• Get advanced metrics and analytics
Monetizing Your Group
Hangouts and Blabs
LinkedIn's Terms of Services says this:
Don’t sell, sponsor, or otherwise monetize a LinkedIn Group or any other
service or functionality of LinkedIn, without the express written permission of
Hangouts, Blabs and Building Your Funnel
Create a Hangout (HOA) or Blab specifically designed to support
Give people a sense of who you really are
A LinkedIn Group is like
any other marketing asset!
You have to work it to get it
Are you clear on the purpose of your group?
What elements of your group do you need to improve?
What strategies will you adopt to increase engagement?
What kind of content will you create and share through
your group discussions?
How can you promote your groups?
What platforms can you link with your group?
Invite me to connect at
Let me know where we “met”
Are we connected?