Slide deck from the IABC EMENA Region board webinar held on December 8. Gold Quill Winner Tjasa Kolenc Filipcic presented how she won.
Just imagine what winning an international acclaimed award would mean for you, for your team, for your career? Even the process of entering has many significant benefits, as it takes you through the steps of your communications effort.
OUR MOUNTAINS AND HILLS 2013
Tjaša Kolenc Filipčič,
• Zavarovalnica Triglav is named after the highest mountain in
Slovenia, Triglav, and has maintained a close connection with
mountains throughout its 115-year tradition.
• The key message of the campaign is: “Let’s clean up our
mountains and hills by bringing back not only pleasant
memories but also our waste. Spread the word!”
• The main part of the campaign is about placing biodegradable
waste bags at mountain lodges and huts to which mountain trails
lead and where mountaineering trips begin.
• Social responsibility is one of the four corporate values and
part of the strategic policy of the insurance company.
• The „Let’s Clean the Mountains” Facebook page has become the
largest mountain protection community in Slovenia and the
largest online social responsibility initiative community ever
established by a company within Slovenia.
• In four seasons, we have provided bags to 60 mountain lodges
and huts (20 huts in 2013). We have distributed more than
100,000 biodegradable bags – hikers have brought back 20
tonnes of waste in bags alone (4 tonnes in 2013).
webinar 2015 2
Spreading the idea via social networks
• In 2013, the fourth season, we set ourselves the
objective of creating a close-knit online community
of active socially responsible users who would co-
create content and spread awareness about the
importance of preserving the cleanliness of
• We expanded our social network activities from
Facebook to Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
• The core messages of the campaign, i.e. cleaning,
raising awareness and safety, were spread through
all the networks. We successfully interconnected
the online communities through the website
webinar 2015 3
The target group on social networks
We reached out to :
1. Nature and mountain lovers as well as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest users
who have yet to join the “Let’s Clean the Mountains” Internet community: These include
environmentally-conscious mountain lovers and recreational hikers who require additional
information and encouragement to participate in the campaign and to visit mountains.
2. Active hikers who are already members of the “Let’s Clean the Mountains” group: These
individuals have in-depth knowledge about mountaineering and hiking and are potential
content generators. This segment of followers actively participates and creates content on
the “Let’s Clean the Mountains” social networks: they publish photographs, participate in
discussions; their members like to show their achievements and share knowledge.
3. Active users of other social networks (Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram) who also love
nature and mountains.
webinar 2015 4
The target group on social networks
webinar 2015 5
Who are those three groups?
People who enjoy hiking; the active population
but with a wide age range:
• Mountaineers: individuals of all ages who
climb mountains very often; it is part of their
lifestyle; they hike alone or in the company of
other mountaineers – offline
• Families: they go hiking with (small) children.
• Older couples and individuals without
What do they have in common?
Love and responsibility towards nature!
webinar 2015 6
PRIMARY COMMUNICATION CHANNEL
• The Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ocistimogore
SECONDARY COMMUNICATION CHANNELS
•The Twitter profile https://twitter.com/OcistimoGore
• The Instagram profile http://instagram.com/ocistimogore#
• The Pinterest profile http://www.pinterest.com/ocistimogore/
• The website http://www.ocistimogore.si/
The Facebook page and website became interconnected hubs providing
information on the campaign, educational content and other functional and
webinar 2015 7
• We published
of the week (e.g.:
“Which lake is in the
picture?”, 12 June
• Invitations to events.
• Encouraging users to
Facebook – prize competition
webinar 2015 8
• The prize competition
“Up ... to the top” took place
between 10 and 31 July 2013.
The competition was held every
• The main prize was hiking
• It served to entertain as well as
• The results of the prize
competition: reach: 23,952;
engaged users: 1,685; likes: 306;
comments: 20; shares: 20;
players: 841; participants in the
prize competition: 693.
Up…to the top.
webinar 2015 10
Mountain plant life;
Up and around;
On the water surface;
The young in the
webinar 2015 11
The community publishes
photographs tagged with
#ocistimogore and #očistimogore. A
total of 300 photographs were
published in 2013. The photographs
were favourited 12,365 times and
had 1,590 comments altogether at
the conclusion of the season.
webinar 2015 12
Maintenance and updates of content:
• About the campaign, mountain
etiquette, relevant news on the
website joined together in one
category, a mountain album, a
virtual mountain booklet, mobile
• In 2013, visitors to the website
spent 3 minutes on the website
and viewed 3.4 pages on average.
Welcome mountain and nature lovers!
Goals and objectives:
1 April 2013 to 31 October 2013
Managing the social networks and online media in a uniform manner to:
realise social responsibility as one of the four core values of Zavarovalnica Triglav and
create an online community of people willing to actively participate in the protection of
the natural environment of Slovenian mountains.
To motivate users to co-create socially responsible content and
actively participate in the campaign.
The greatest challenge: expanding our community of nature and mountain lovers, who
will realise the principles of the campaign
Goals and objectives
1. To gain at least 5,000 new fans on Facebook who would support the campaign and follow
updates by providing high-quality, interactive content and special content specifically
targeted towards them.
2. To increase the engagement of users on the Facebook page in comparison with the same period
in the previous year. To achieve at least 5-percent engagement. byproviding interesting
and interactive content.
3. To successfully set up a Twitter profile and gain at least 100 followers. by providing
4. To successfully set up an Instagram profile and gain at least 100 followers.
Concrete numerical objectives for the period of 1 April 2013–31 October 2013:
Result: The objective was exceeded, as we gained 8,904 new likes, constituting an
increase of over 44%. On 31 October 2012, the Facebook page had 20,475 likes.
On 31 October 2013, it had 29,553 likes.
Objective 1: Increasing the number of likes on Facebook between 1 April 2013 and 31 October
2013 by 5,000 or approx. 25% (24.4%) in comparison with the same period in the previous
Result: The objective was
exceeded, as average
engagement was at 5.3%.
We achieved a 76-percent
increase in engagement
compared to 2012.
Objective 2: Increasing the engagement* of users on the Facebook page in comparison with
the same period in the previous year. At least 5-percent engagement on average.
Apr 13 4.9%
May 13 4.7%
Jun 13 4.4%
Jul 13 5.5%
Aug 13 6.2%
Sep 13 5.5%
Oct 13 5.7%
Season 2013 5.3%
*Formula: Lifetime Engaged Users/Lifetime Post Total Reach. It must be taken into account that the campaign is inactive during winter, i.e. from the end of October to the
beginning of April. There is also no communication via social media or the ocistimogore.si website during this period (apart from occasional messages).
Result: The objective was
achieved. At the
beginning of April
2013, we set up an
“Let’s Clean the
profile. We gained
104 followers by 31
Objective 3: Successfully setting up a Twitter profile and gaining at least 100 followers between
1 April 2013 and 31 October 2013.
Result: The objective was exceeded. At the beginning of April 2013, we set up an
“Let’s Clean the Mountains” Instagram profile. We gained 181 followers by 31
October 2013. Other users tagged their photographs with the #očistimogore
(#letscleanmountains) tag as well. A total of 300 photographs were tagged
by 31 October 2013.
Objective 4: Successfully setting up an “Let’s Clean the Mountains” Instagram profile and
gaining at least 100 followers between 1 April 2013 and 31 October 2013.
- number of followers 181
- photographs published 70
- favourites 1,899
- number of comments 46
Photos tagged with #očistimogore
- photos 300
- favourites 12,365
- comments 1,590
Why did we apply?
• To expand our knowledge in strategic thinking, planning.
• To prove to ourselves and to the organization that we are on
the right and effective way in terms of communication.
• To set a good example to others and inspire them to apply
What caused us the most trouble during the
• A clear enough definition of our goals and target
• Linking results with organizational goals.
What this reward means to us?
• This reward represents both a challenge and an incentive
for an even greater performance and higher goals, as
well as a conformation that we are on a right track.
webinar 2015 21