Subject : Service Industry over Gamification Theory.
Presented by Arnold
SAPS model in Game & Service Industry
Ranking applied in Service
Importance of first one minute
Reputation / attention in
SAPS model in Game
• Status =
Comparative position in relationship with
Ex) Level, Badge
• Access =
Accessibility that only a few player can
approach to specific event.
Ex) Only high level players
can enter the gate
• Power =
An authority that player can do
something unique action.
Ex) One player can manage the forum instead of operator
(Player just have a self-pride to be the operator)
• Stuff =
Not only physical compensation but also
substantial value that it has.
Ex) Free „ice cream king‟ title badge
SAPS model applied in Service Industry
• Status =
Starbucks “membership card”
(Depends on visiting
frequency, different card)
• Access =
Short line in Ski slope.
(VIP Season members can
go to „short line‟ and don‟t
have to wait that long)
• Power =
Best drivers‟ traffic order service
Ex) They work with no profit but the pride
• Stuff = At Café.
Free coffee when visiting on Birthday
(Low cost - > High feeling of reward)
Ranking in Game
• We all live in competitive society. We have an instinct to do „better‟
• Ranking sometimes shows the outcome of the people.(How many
level / item did players got). It makes the players want to do better
Ranking in Service
Customers are attracted by these kind of promotions. However, actual “Reward” is
really a small thing. Inexpensive, minor opportunity cost for organizations. But people
want to be “Best of the month”. This idea is based on „Ranking‟.
Importance of first 1 minute in game
• Many game systems try to make the players to sign up before
even players get to know the game.
• However, if players get to know what the system is about, and if it
is interesting enough, they would automatically sign up.
• In short, First 1 minute is very important to „Attract‟.
Importance of first 1 minute in service
• Service / Game both are not a „Physical product‟.
= >can‟t be seen, can‟t be touched (Intangible)
As so, „Showing‟ the „Intangible‟ product is important.
• Ex) In hotels
Reputation / Attention in Game
• For the players who are “Achievement” & “Killers”
type, Gaining reputation and attention in game is very
• Ex) Player‟s information(ID/Character) displayed on
the main page(or server)
• By one action, player can gain reputation. It doesn‟t
have to be in a calm and orderly way.
• Giving the Self-esteem to player can maintain the
player, and attract new players.
Reputation / Attention in industry
• Service industries are interdependence with „Reputation‟.
• Reputation is one of the most powerful variable that can „show‟ and
ensure the corporate‟s product.
• There are non-profit organizations that only work for public good
(reputation). Instead, they get much more valuable results.
Ex) IOC(International Olympic Committee) Exists for public good.
• In game also, Not only reputation does maintain the player to keep
play the game, But also it gives much more valuable results to
Ex) Hardcore gamer acquires reputation and be a pro-gamer.
No one can easily be the pro-gamer if „Reputation‟ is not
• As we reviewed, Organization‟s strategies /
Promotions / Managements are based on
• Game theories are also applied to
War, Psychology, Industry, Tourism, etc.
• It is important to understand in which else we
can apply this theory in order to „attract‟
people for (Public good / Revenue /
Reputation / R&D / etc).
『Gamification by Design』 - Gabe Zichermann,