Estimation of Serious Play Edu-games or Edutainment games “All roads lead to mobile,” but the PC isn’t going anywhere (soon) – “modest, but steady growth”.* “All roads lead to HTML5,” but Flash isn’t going anywhere (soon).* “Tablets are the new gaming device,” but handheld gaming devices and the consoles aren’t going anywhere (soon).** Bas e d on Am b ie nt Ins igh t 201 1 m arke t re s e arch re p ort
Simulation vs Game based learning The US Simulation-based Learning market reached $990.2 million in 2010. The growth rate is 20.2% and revenues will reach $2.48 billion by 2015.*The US Game-based Learning market reached $231.6 million in 2010. The growth rate is 12.3% and revenues will reach $413.2 million by 2015.* The revenues for Simulation-based Learning will be seven times higher than Game-based Learning by 2015** Bas e d on Am b ie nt Ins igh t 201 1 m arke t re s e arch re p ort
Trends & Opportunities Companies are using Flash and mainstream gaming engines like Unity3D to create edugames.* Several “Rapid Learning” tools include game modules based on classic games (Jeopardy, Concentration, etc.) and they output to both Flash and HTML5.* Opportunity: In the last 18 months dozens of new Mobile Learning tools have come on the market and only one is game-based: University of Wisconsin’s ARIS game engine.* Location-based Learning and Mobile Augmented Reality newest trends in mobile edugames.** Bas e d on Am b ie nt Ins igh t 201 1 m arke t re s e arch re p ort
1. Do you think that videogames can be a useful tool for educationpurposes? Useful 38.90% Very Useful Useful Not Useful Completely Unuseful Very Useful 61.10%
2. Would you be interested to learn along with others while youare playing? Yes No I don´t know 100.00%
3. How long would you spend every day playing this kind ofgames? 6.70% Less than 1 hour 26.70% 2 hours 3 hours 4 hours 5 hours More than 5 hours 66.70%
4. Would you like to play such type of edutainment game withyour children or with any other kids? 18.80% Yes No I do not play with kids 81.30%
5. What would be your preferred platform to play? 31.30% 43.80% PC Laptop 25.00% Tablet Mobile Phone Game Console 31.30% 50.00%
6. What specific subject or subjects would you be mostlyinterested to learn through an edutainment video game?
7. Would you be willing to pay for an official certificate of yourlearning achievements through the edutainment video game? 25.00% Yes No Not sure 56.30% 18.80%
8. Do you think that such a certificate could help you in your career? Why or why not? Could have some (limited) significance, as an alternative way of developing academical skillsIf it were specific to the degrees I already have and could get somemajor support and recognition so it will count as an accredited I think this portal would be most useful for learning of children. I amcertificate. not sure if adults would benefit so much from this medium, but I would be definitely happy to be proved wrong! No If thats professional, it could help. Dont know Ye s I dont know. Not sure yes, if it is approved by organizations Itd depend on who is the authority that is issuing the certificate and whether itd be recognised internationally Ye too. s Havent thought much about it. probablyOnly if those certificates reach the necessary awareness No Yes, if it applies to my work field.
9. Where do you learn about new apps or edutainment videogames?