Genre and Music Magazines
- To consider the importance of
targeting audience by genre
- To understand the requirements for
Recap - genre conventions
• What are the generic conventions of music
Front cover with featured artist
Tend to be genre specific
Reviews of albums, singles and live concerts
Advertising specific to the genre
Music Magazines and genre
• Music magazines can be sub-divided in
accordance with musical genres.
• The music industry has always been keen to
categorise music. Why?
• Because genres help them specifically target a
• Brainstorm: Name as many different musical
genres as you can think of.
Music genres and markets
• A music genre has to be marketed to its target
demographic. What media does the music industry use
to do this?
• Example: Jazz
• By now you should have some idea of the music genre
that you wish to create your magazine for and have
purchased a magazine in that genre.
• No new publication would ever consider launching
without some expertise on the genre and the
marketplace into which they were competing
• You must show evidence on your blog of research into
the genre that you are going to be creating your
Genre Research TASK
• Extensive research into the genre that
your magazine is for
• Create a PowerPoint presentation
displaying your findings
PowerPoint – 10 areas to consider…
1. Define and categorise the genre – what distinguishes it?
2. History of the genre, from its inception (beginning)
3. Key artists in the development of the genre / at the moment (e.g. Who
has the biggest profile? How do you know?)
4. Audience / fans – who are they? Demographics/Psychographics?
5. Sub-genres of the genre.
6. Public perception of the genre - is it a popular genre with mainstream
appeal or more niche?
7. Record labels / key industry figures?
8. Competition – what are the other magazines covering the genre? What
is their ABC circulation? What is their NRS readership? How often do
they come out? What sort of features do they contain? How much do
they cost? Are they mostly subscribed to or bought off the shelf (loyal
vs. occasional readers)
9. Cross media – what other media covers that genre? TV stations /
shows? Radio stations / shows? Websites? Newspapers? Films?
10. Predictions for the future? How might the genre develop? What
direction does it appear to be heading in (e.g. consider its
demographic – is it getting older or younger?)?