We are at the start of a computing revolution that will change
how we live, conductbusiness and run governments.
The power to innovate; the power to render obsolete.
The digital imperative
• Whether or not you’re prepared for it, digital
disruption is happening to every enterprise in
every industry all over the world.
• Digital disruption can breathe new life into
business processes, products and employees. It
can also bring flourishing enterprises to their
• You can turn digitization to your advantage, but
only if business and IT work together.
• At HPE, we are in a unique position to share
best practices and perspectives that we hope
will help more enterprises chart their digital
The anxiety around digital disruption is that it is happening everywhere.
The reality is that it will change entire industries for the better.
Change is hard
• 50 years after we created the first business computer,
digitization is happening now because of a “perfect
storm” of low-cost communications, compute devices
“at the edge” and sensors.
• Digitization is fundamentally changing the way
business is conducted, from transportation and
healthcare to banking and agriculture. However,
disruption is unevenly distributed among industries.
• More than at any time since the Industrial Revolution,
all industries must actively track and embrace
digitization or risk being “Uberized” by a competitor’s
aggressive use of digital technology.
To truly succeed in the age of digitization,
you need to know what you’re up against.
• To address digital disruption, it helps to have a model.
• Within the enterprise, there are three forms of
• Business model transformation
• Business operations transformation
• IT (infrastructure) transformation
• While digital technology is often used for change that
improves cost, efficiency and agility for IT, those changes
are likely invisible to customers and employees.
• The more likely and fruitful application of digitization is in
the transformation of business operations, where it can
dramatically improve the customer experience, products
and services, and core operations.
• Digitization means that IT is no longer solely the domain
of the enterprise IT department; IT is embedded within
Methodical, long-term planning gives way to a “try and see” mentality.
The new product cycle
• When it comes to digital transformation, large, 18-
month waterfall projects are out. It’s all about
• First to market makes a lasting impression.
• Start with a minimum viable set of features — enough
to get going quickly and get something out there to see
what your customers and employees think about it.
• Continuously innovate. Experiment. Take a series of
small steps, and embrace, instead of punish, “fast fail.”
Digital transformation is not an IT issue. In fact, it’s not a
problem at all. Rather, it’s an opportunity to rethink how
business is conducted.
• Digital transformation isn’t just an IT challenge — it
involves the entire enterprise.
• While lines of business often are the drivers behind
digital transformation, they can’t operate in isolation
from IT, which owns the systems of record.
• To enable innovation without fear, enterprises need to
create a digital transformation foundation.
• Even more important and more fundamental than the
technology used in digital transformation are the
people and processes involved.
To create an environment primed for digitally fueled
innovation, you have to change your company culture.
• For digital transformation to work, an organization
must create a culture that’s biased toward action.
• Teams working on their first digital transformation
should adopt a “Let’s try it and see” approach.
• As business accelerates, managers must fund good
ideas when they arise.
• Experimentation and play should be encouraged.
• Scout for the right talent and form multidisciplinary
teams to facilitate diverse thinking and ongoing
Digital transformation isn’t a revolution restricted to those in power.
It’s by everyone, for everyone. And it’s going to change every enterprise.
Digitization knows no bounds
• Digitization is different from other technology shifts
because it’s so wide ranging and affects all industries.
• Digitization can completely transform customer
experiences and enable you to create products that
were simply not possible before.
• To take advantage of the digital revolution, and not
be negatively disrupted by it, you will need to do two
• Put in place a technology foundation that enables
hundreds of continuous innovation steps.
• Change the way your organization behaves — in
funding, project governance, the composition of
teams and attitudes to playing and exploring.
Read more about the tools you’ll need to
accelerate your organization’s
transformation from now to next.