Semantic Support for Complex Ecosystem Research Environments
Semantic Support for Complex
Ecosystem Research Environments
, Paulo Pinheiro1
, Matthew Klawonn1
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
Universidade de Fortaleza, Brazil
AGU, December 2015
• In large projects, how should data be:
–Integrated with other relevant data and
• And also
–Accessed, shared, and visualized?
• Examples of data types in projects we
–Architecture science and ecology
• Ontologies: For capturing context
• Apache SOLR: For storage and retrieval
• Contextualized CSVs: For data annotation
• Human Aware Data Acquisition Framework
• A web application based on Apache SOLR, the
• Goal: To provide a one-stop-shop for combined
data and metadata management, markup,
integration, retrieval, and visualization
• Uses ontologies combined with limited human
markup to achieve this goal
• Can be deployed on a laptop or server,
depending on a user's needs
Combining Data and
Metadata about the metadata
• In addition to nice visualization,
integration, and retrieval features,
HADatAc has sophisticated privacy
• Data has various levels of access open
to anonymous and pre-registered users.
Ease of Use
== START-PREAMBLE ==
@base <http://localhost#> .
@prefix hasneto: <http://hadatac.org/ont/hasneto#> .
@prefix hadatac: <http://hadatac.org/ont/hadatac#> .
<example-kb> a hadatac:KnowledgeBase; hadatac:hasHost
<dataCollection-example01> a hasneto:DataCollection; prov:startedAtTime "2015-02-
<deployment-example01> hasneto:hasDataCollection <dataCollection-example01> .
<example01-dataset01> a vstoi:Dataset; prov:wasGeneratedBy <dataCollection-
example01>; hadatac:hasMeasurementType <mt0>,<mt1> .
<mt0> a hadatac:MeasurementType; time:inDateTime <ts0>; hadatac:atColumn 3;
oboe:ofCharacteristic hadatac-entities:EC-WindDirection; oboe:usesStandard oboe-
<mt1> a hadatac:MeasurementType; time:inDateTime <ts0>; hadatac:atColumn 2;
oboe:ofCharacteristic hadatac-entities:EC-WindSpeed; oboe:usesStandard oboe-
<ts0> hadatac:atColumn 0 .
== END-PREAMBLE ==
• Work with csv files
• Automate data
transfer across the
web, including large
amounts of data
• Retrieval (e.g faceted
visualization tools are
with uploaded data.
• Various ontologies were presented with
the intent to show how they capture
context in big data projects
• HADatAc was introduced, along with
some of its key functionalities.
HADatAc is a cross-platform web service which
integrates annotated data sets with other relevant
data and metadata, and surrounds them with
retrieval (faceted search) and visualization tools
as well as privacy controls.
• Refine HASNetO vocabulary and test it
over a constantly growing HASNetO-
based knowledge base.
• Continue to add functionality to HADatAc
–More visualization tools
–Enhanced search capabilities
–Looking to integrate with lab information
management systems (potentially use
with science other than medicine)
• Contact Information
– Deborah McGuinness: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Paulo Pinheiro: email@example.com
– Matt Klawonn: firstname.lastname@example.org