Disaster Relief Action Plan and List of Resources
There are many ways to get assistance after a natural disaster. The following steps will explain
how to search for assistance you may qualify for from agencies and from
Step 1 - GetAssistance - If there is a Federal DisasterDeclaration in your state, and in your county, you
will needto contact FEMA:
Fema Mobile App
Step 2 - Within24 hours, file a Homeowners,Renters,and/or Auto Insurance claim.
● Requestacopy of your policy toassistyouwithunderstandingyourcoverages.
● As a homeowner,yourinsurancecompanyexpectsyoutopreventfurtherdamage toyourdwellingand
property.Keeptrackof hours spentandmaterialsusedtosecure yourpropertyagainstfurtherdamage.
These expensesandeffortscanapply towardsyourdeductible orinsome casesbe reimbursed.Askthe
insurance adjusterif theycancut a check to coverthe cost of debrisremoval andsupplies(suchastarps,
etc.) to secure yourhome fromfurtherdamage.Talkto your adjusterforspecificsrelatedtoyourpolicy.
● If your house isdeemeduninhabitable bythe insurancecompany andyouhave torelocate ask
about“Additional LivingExpense”coverage toprovide upfrontmoneyforrelocationcosts.Be sure to keep
a record of all expenseswith receipts.
● If youhave “ReplacementCost”coverage,itemsshouldbe replacedwiththe newversion of thatitem.
● Asworkis done onrebuildingyourhome all work should be coveredtobringuptocode perthe “ordinance
of law”and ispart of all homeownerpolicies.
● If your house isatotal lossyoushould receive 100% of the face value of yourhomeownerpolicy plusa
minimumof 50% of the face value forcontents.
● If a vehicle istotaled,searchfora like,kindandqualityvehicle:same yearmake,model,andfeatureson
they are not offeringareasonableamounttoreplace vehicleoraskforthemto replace vehicle withexact
duplicate. Note: If you havecollision only coverageon a vehicle, sameinsurancecompany covers
homeownerand auto,and a treefalls and damagesortotalsthe vehicle, insurancewill not coverthe
● If youhave any questionsabout policycoverage,reimbursement,oraboutany documentsyou are asked
to sign, contact the GA Insurance Commission- 404-656-2070 https://www.oci.ga.gov/
Step 3 - Contact your UtilityCompanies - Reportpoweroutages,damage tometers,downwires,leaks,orif
youhave had to relocate outof yourhome due to damages.Inquire aboutassistance programswithutility
billsforstormvictims. Some local companies:
Georgia: AtlantaGas Light 770-994-1946, GA Power1-888-660-5890, Greystone 770-942-6576, GA
Natural/AtlantaGas - 770-850-6200, Scana Energy770-907-4231, CobbEMC 770-429-2100, Cityof Dallas
Water 770-443-8110, Carroll CountyEMC 770-832-3552, PauldingCountyWaterSystem(770) 445-2761
Step 4 - Contact your Mortgage Company - Informthemthat youhave fileda homeowners’ insurance
claimand ask if paymentscanbe deferredoraddedto the endof the mortgage,if youcan pay interestonly
paymentsfora specifiedtime,orif theywill spreadanypastdue amountsoverthe nextfew months.
Copyright 2017 - www.thelifeboat.info - Rev B - 09-07-17 - Permission to copy and distribute.
The information in this document is not a guarantee of benefits or payment.