Helen Hernandez, CPA
921 Grant Avenue, Pelham, NY 10803
C (914) 309-1146 · firstname.lastname@example.org
Independent Consultant April 2012 to June 2016
Lead Business Analyst: Global Investment Banks
• Clients include: Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse and RBS
• Lead business analyst on the P&L attribution projects for Asset backed, Commercial Real Estate and Structured Products
businesses, which included re-engineering all aspects of the P&L attribution process including P&L calculation, reporting,
breach management and signoffs.
• Lead various work streams alongside IT including:
Modeling - track and monitor the development, testing and validation of the new analytical INTEX based models to be
migrated onto the valuation engines.
• Products include: CMBS, RMBS (Non Agency), ABS Consumer (Auto, Student Loans, Credit Cards), CDO, CLOs and
derivatives including PAUG CDS and synthetic portfolio CDS.
• Supported complex and dynamic Natural Gas and Electricity trading businesses through a variety of middle office duties
including the production of daily PnL, balance sheet substantiation, pricing validation and attribution.
• Advised trading desk on matters of finance compliance, booking structures and accounting standards to ensure
accurate reporting of risk and portfolio performance.
Gleacher and Company NY, NY June 2010 to February 2012
Director, Legal Entity Controller
• Implemented the product control function for the structured products group.
• Performed monthly independent price verification of structured products portfolio.
• Products include: MBS/CMBS, CDO, CLOS, interest rate derivatives, futures, and TBA’s and treasury securities.
• Responsible for the preparation of the ASC 820 footnote along with 10Q, 10 K and MD&A.
• Responsible for the monthly 15c3-1 calculation for DESCAP securities.
• Lead the process of establishing and developing key risk indicators firm-wide.
• Involvement in application submission to regulators for new and amended market risk models.
• Manage regulatory visits relating to operational risk measurement and methodology.
• Lead the process of identification of operational risk losses within the firm’s systems and ledgers.
• Lead the efforts for operational risk data collection and management and to be a key person managing business
partner relationships and compliance to risk regulations.
• Prepared financial and management reporting for Gleacher Securities. The main objective of this group is to support
the CFO by creating and implementing standard reporting for all businesses operating for the monitoring and
measuring the results of Gleacher Securities.
• Prepared P&L and Balance Sheet data by product, industry, client and relationship manager
• Analyzed daily/monthly fluctuations in P&L (by product, industry), prepare explanations of significant changes and
investigated any open items.
• Forecasted P&L and provide forecast and actual P&L data to the CFO.
• Prepared a budget by business line and product and monitor variances to actual.
• Prepared the monthly management reporting package for Gleacher Securities.
• Prepared various analyses by products (Mortgages, High yield and Rates Group).
UBS AG NY, NY May 2006 to May 2010
Director, Commercial Real Estate Securitization Product Control
• Established the accounting function for multiple investment funds totaling $1.8 billion of investor commitments and
$5 billion of asset acquisitions. Prepared US GAAP fair value financial statements and IFRS fair value reporting for
consolidation into the parent company's public filings. Managed all Treasury functions including banking
relationships, investor distributions and reporting, and Tax and REIT compliance. Ensured SOX regulatory
compliance and SEC filings. Supervised staff of 5.
• Foreclosure Accounting - Four of the mortgage investments held became delinquent and matured without the borrower
repaying the loan. Foreclosing and succeeding to ownership required the coordination of several complex accounting
issues under FAS 141 (ASC 860) - valuations of the real estate assets and the breakout of tangible and intangible
assets, valuation of the underlying assumed mortgage debt and evaluation of gain/(loss) on the foreclosure transaction:
Succeeded to ownership of the underlying properties enabling the parent company to include these assets on their
balance sheet increasing their assets under management (AUM) by $4 billion.
• Developed Accounting System - Developed policies and procedures for accounting and financial reporting including
internal controls, financial statement preparation, investor reporting, distributions and capital calls, valuation, hedging
and all REIT, corporate and partnership tax compliance.
• Fund & SOX Compliance - Developed a system of internal controls that satisfied SOX requirements including robust
systems to insure reliable financial information and a system of review and sign-off by management of all valuations
used in the financial reporting: SOX compliance was required to maintain Registered Investment Adviser status in
order to raise investment capital through outside institutional investors, which totaled $1.8 billion for the first two
• Audit & Investor Reporting - Prepared financial statements in accordance with GAAP together with supporting work
paper documentation and accounting memos to document the accounting treatments utilized. Investors were provided
with timely financial statements.
• Converted Fund's Basis of Accounting to IFRS - Researched the technical requirements under IFRS such as the
treatment of available-for-sale and held-to-maturity financial assets, hedge accounting and the fair value option for real
estate. Developed a process and template to provide reliable financial information using IFRS
• Monitored Investment Portfolio - Researched software providers, negotiated a favorable contract with ADVENT and
supervised the installation of the system used to monitor the CMBS portfolio, hedges and repurchase agreements:
Enabled the tracking of investments and customized investor reports.
• Investor Reporting - Designed a new client reporting system which provided timely reporting, helped reduce response
time to investor inquiries and easier access to financial information. This was complicated by the fact that each
investor had unique reporting requirements, which depended on the regulatory environment of the industry: Robust
reporting enabled the company to attract $200 million from new institutional investors.
• Performance Reporting - Automated the pricing procedures by developing an Excel template that utilized direct
downloads from the Bloomberg information database. Then initiated a process to identify an outside pricing service to
provide reliable quotes for the securities: Ultimately reduced the month-end reporting processing time by 40%.
• Act as liaison between Finance and other department and outside parties, extensive interaction with US Tax
Department, Property Management, Fund Accounting and Property Accounting.
• Establishes full understanding of all partnership, management agreements and loan agreements, ensuring full
compliance with all loan documentation and that financial statements accurately reflect the terms of such agreements.
• Liaison with third party administrators to obtain updates on the status of the project/property that may impact
preparation of books and records.
• Review accruals prepared by Building Management Office to determine proper accounting standards are followed.
• Prepare Monthly Reports such as capital availability report and capital expenditure report.
• Prepare monthly work papers for accrual and US GAAP based books and records including the review of accruals, roll
forward of fixed assets.
• Reviewed and evaluate current and future cash requirements.
• Reviewed MRI lease profiles and retroactive billing adjustments.
• Used reforecast information prepared by Property Management to complete US GAAP projections to the Fund
accounting group and, when necessary, tax projections through associates' level for the tax group.
• Prepared quarterly compliance testing as requested by fund level debt institutions.
• Prepared annual audited financial statement for property and upper tiers entities as required.
• Prepared and reviewed escalation work papers including tenant adjustments and letters.
• Prepared annual tenant escalations for retroactive charges/credits.
Hypovereinsbank NY, NY April 2002 to April 2006
Director, Asset Management Legal Entity Controller
• Managed the funding, administration, operations and accounting for commercial paper conduits and collateralized debt
obligations with approximately $24 billion outstanding in commercial paper and notes. Products included trade
receivables, ABS / MBS, corporate bonds, repos, fixed income derivatives and foreign exchange.
• Performed monthly NAV calculations for Hypo as capital note holder. Prepared year-end financial statements for all
• Prepared and distributed conduit reports to rating agencies, commercial paper dealers and investors.
• Facilitated and coordinated year-end audit with external auditors. Supervised staff of 10 professionals.
• Monitored transaction performance for compliance with all deal triggers. Managed the addition and removal of assets,
including documentation, rating agency, and credit reviews.
• Prepared quarterly P&L commentary for senior management of the Asset Management Division (WestLB Asset
• Prepared / supervised the daily P&L process for all SPVs. Coordinated the reconciliation and settlement of inventory
positions with the back office. Interacted with external auditors, prepared and issued financial statements. Supervised
a staff of five professionals.
• Implemented FAS 133 reporting for all entities; performed quarterly reviews and maintained compliance.
• Communicated with the front office regarding the resolution of various accounting and product issues.
• Reviewed all Vehicles to determine if entities needed to be consolidated for purposes of Fin 46(R).
• Coordinated activities concerning new businesses and entities with the front and back office.
CDC North America NY, NY November 1999 to August 2001
Controller, CDC Mortgage Capital
• Prepared and supervised the daily P&L for CMBS trading structured products and ABS.
• Established and maintained deal and market reserves.
• Performed month end independent pricing review of portfolios.
• Prepared monthly P&L attribution / theoretical P&L for desk management.
• Coordinated settlement of structured deals with various groups. Prepared monthly and year-end financial statements
for MBS subsidiaries.
• Coordinated settlement of Commercial loan funding and structured transactions with trading desk, underwriting,
mortgage servicing, and operations group.
CIBC World Markets NY, NY April 1997 to October 1999
Director, Product Controller Fixed Income and Credit Derivatives
• Reviewed and analyzed daily and monthly P/L including valuation adjustments and official reserves.
• Ensured valuation of positions was appropriate through pricing reviews.
• Ensured that general ledger was properly reconciled to the underlying trading systems.
• Performed Balance Sheet and capital monitoring and analysis, monthly general ledger revenue recognition and
analysis, and provided variance explanations.
• Participated in the development of new and enhanced reporting systems, policies and procedures.
Bear Stearns & Company NY, NY May 1992 to April 1997
Controller, Mortgage Subsidiaries
• Oversaw the preparation of daily P&L’s of various mortgage portfolios including commercial and residential whole
loans and mortgage derivative portfolios.
• Provided trade and sales support for whole loan, commercial and mortgage derivative portfolios.
• Coordinated the settlement of deals among trading and operations groups.
• Prepared daily and month-end Balance Sheet account reconciliations and prepared the month-end Balance Sheet.
• Liaison with outside counsel, loan services, real estate and trading desk underwriting group for individual loan funding
and CMBS offerings.
• Prepared risk analysis models for the risk group and senior management.
KPMG LLP NY, NY October 1986 to February 1991
Supervisor Senior Accountant
• Planned concurrent audit engagements by developing the audit strategy, time budgets, and staffing requirements for
foreign, investment, and merchant banks, and clearing broker dealers.
• Prepared and reviewed financial statements, including focus reports, SEC Forms 10-K, 10-Q, and management
letters to Board of Directors.
• Developed and presented proposals to prospective audit and consulting clients of the practice development program.
• Managed and evaluated audit staff.
Iona College ~ BBA, Accounting ~ June 1986
Certified Public Accountant, State of New York
MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint , MS Access, MS Project , PeopleSoft, SAP and QuickBooks