Dr.Shalini Ratan, MD
Founder and Chief Knowledge Facilitator
Qualification / Experience Professional strengths
• MBBS, MD, Post doctoral • Strategic use of scientific
• 9 years of medical marketing in • Art and craft of scientific writing
pharmaceutical industry. • Value addition to scientific
• Domestic and multinational marketing
organizations. • Healthcare public relations
• Govt. and research based • Can interface between
organizations academics and industry
• Can interface between medical
• Proven credibility in academics
The Journey of NIRVAN began
from November 2009…..
BY DEFAULT….NO IDEA…
My strengths as a beginner..
Risk taking ability..
Thought of being different..
Not to forget my limitations
• No business background.
• Earning for myself.
• Unpleasant experiences.
• No major financial backup.
But “I” ??
Evolution of the IDEA….
• A faint thought which gradually started glowing in mind.
• Started with identifying gaps between HCO and HCP.
• A purpose gave birth to NIRVAN and it’s LOGO…
• Having an enlightened and liberated MIND…
• Change in thinking and functioning..
• Knowledge, Engagement, Empowerment, Relationship…
Company established as a Communication and Knowledge
Healthcare Organizations and Healthcare Professionals
Key Segments in Healthcare
medical tourism in
• Pharmaceutical – 2010
IndiaToday, Growing at 12% despite global economic
• Hospitals/Nursing Homes – Growing at 20%
• Medical Equipment – Growing at 15%
At The Cradle,
• Clinical Lab Diagnostics -Growing atIndiaToday a
luxury car will
be at your
• Imaging Diagnostics – Growing at 30% beck and call.
• Other Services (includes Training & Education; Aesthetics &
Weight loss; Retail Pharmacy etc).– Growing at 40%
Source : Mediminds
Sharpening of the IDEA is a continuous
Facilitating and Packaging the CONCEPT…
Educate with “KNOWLEDGE”
Engage with “TOOLS”
Empower with “BENEFITS”
Products / Services
Knowledge Patient Clinic MM Doctor Patient Sales /
MM MM knowledge education Marketing
MM MM knowledge
Managing NL Ambience CME Health Medico-
Patients and education marketing
Practice – videos Consultancy
Medico Posters A-V Film Scientific/non- Awareness Training
marketing tool scientific progs.
Lectures Lectures Website NL Patient Scientific
Publications Patient Staff / front Managing Promotional
alliance desk training Patients and material
Practice – WS
Patient home Awareness Disease MM Updating
service progs. courses website
• Increase customer loyalty
• Goodwill of patients • Increase customer base
• Holistic management of • Enhancing knowledge of sales
patients and marketing professionals
• Increase word of mouth
• Increase patient base
• Enhance medical
• Reflect the quality and
image of the clinic
• Build a BRAND
Sustainable advantage with differentiation
• Gift knowledge to doctors. • Doctor-Patient relationship
• Small / Medium companies • Of the doctors, For the doctors,
do not have in house By the doctors
medical deptt. • Medical practice management.
• Device and diagnostic
industries still lack scientific
• Training with a difference.
• Doctors as first line to deal
Hurdles to take the concept across..
• Resistance to change…Awareness required
• Management considered as advertising…themselves
• Not willing to pay…creating value.
• Companies not used to unconventional ways of
promotion…approaching on a regular basis.
• Control on expenditure…. short term consultancy / part
• Sponsors needed….looking for partners.
• Time and energy spent on follow up….
Strength required to overcome the
• Exude enthusiasm….convinces people.
• No hesitation in meeting new people…to explore new
• Unlearn to relearn…no ego hassles.
• Experience of medicine and corporate…gives
confidence and belief.
• Accepted being a doctor…make use of it.
• NIRVAN is within me…
Focusing on :
Medico Marketing: Commun. agencies, Companies.
• Old references
• Writing articles
• Email promotion
• Promo. Material: Email, Courier.
• Cold calls by Relationship Manager
• Website under development
• Personal meetings
“Managing Patients and Practice” Workshops: Docs and companies.
Modules and approach for creating awareness and enrolling docs.
• Good doctor / Good Doc-patient Relationship
• Docs : Awareness seminars at associations,Medical colleges, hospitals,
Meeting docs, Advert. In assoc. magazines,Exhibition.
• Patients : Awareness seminars at Social clubs, Trusts, NGO’s, Press
release, newspaper articles etc.
• Practice manager / Soft skills
Affiliations / Alliances
• Medical associations / Hospitals: KMA, IMA, BNHA,Sion hospital, Raheja,
• Publication houses / Training academies: PASSI.
•Healthcare Organizations: Bayer, Aventis, Abbott.: Novel idea
•Partnering with IT healthcare professionals : Platform to approach doctors
• Partnering with Nutritionists / Psychologists
• Partnering with other scientific associations
• Partnering with NGO’s / Councilors
• Clinicians, Marketing and Branding expert
1. Indian Medical Association
2. Kandivli Medical Association
3. Indian Merchants Chamber – Health and
• Idea getting accepted gradually. • Waivered sponsorship.
• Good response at • Possibility to talk at a National
exhibition…>90% of docs willing Conference on “Excellence in
to learn to how to enhance Healthcare in 21st Century” at
• IMA lecture in July 2010 for the • Pharma companies planning to
medical students. sponsor / outsource the
• Articles in medical association workshops.
magazines, journals and online. • First open program planned at
• People getting convinced and Pune in July, 2010.
approaching to explore • Working with two clients for
partnership. medical communication
Expenditure of around Rs.70000 as
• Doctors to pay from their pocket..as the concept needs
to be accepted as an educational requirement.
• Medical Practice Management in B Schools, Patient
Relationship Management in Medical colleges.
• Certification for the Programs / Workshops
• Workshops across India.
• International clients….Outsourcing company for
Healthcare Communication and Medical Practice
• Corporate Health Programs.
• OD Consultant : Part time
• Business Development: Voluntary support
• Relationship Manager: Employee
• Chartered Accountant
• Web Designer
• Mentors and Advisors
• Friends and Family
• My Driver
• Always keep sufficient no. of visiting cards.
• Always keep pen drive handy.
• Send all business communications in a pdf format.
• Keep upgrading knowledge in business, self improvement,
• Keep meeting people and be “aware” of the CLUES given.
• Respond to people.
• Vision of changing conventional mindset of people.
• Never faced any problem being a woman.
• Power of intention works.
• Plan with 5 senses and achieve with 6th sense.
• A laser beam focus on the goal.
• Microanalysis leads to paralysis.
• Uncomfortable in the comfort zone.
• Success is not in receiving the first cheque but when
people start RELATING to your idea.