This worried Procter & Gamble the owner of Pantene brand who wondered what was the reason of the steep fall. Pantene needed to develop a marketing strategy in order to achieve is long-term growth target of five share points.
Because Pantene doesn’t offer as many promotions as does VO5 and Palmolive, they could start to offer price discounts to encourage product trial. The “Delta Moments” can occur pre-store or in-store, so they could offer in-store promotions such as coupons on the packaging, or they could do mass advertising through the television or mailer coupons to make customers aware of their promotion.
Market research for pantene case
Presented by Hasan Ali
Market Research for Pantene Case
Market Research Problem
• Reason for fall of market share of Pantene
from 22.5% to 20% in the year 2003 when
Garnier was launched & it quickly picked up
5.1% market share in a span of one year.
• Perceived reasons for steep fall – lack of
distribution intensity or heavy promotions by
competitors or unfavorable consumer
A brief on Nielsen Group
• Nielsen is a market leader of the $31 billion
global market research industry.
• They have been known in the market for
offering tailor made customized market
research solutions & syndicated research
solutions for certain common needs.
• Neilsen specialized in consumer products &
Solution for Pantene from Nielsen
• Nielsen decided to apply its comprehensive
solution “Winning Brands”
• Analyzing the brand from perspectives of
Brand Equity, Market Share, Behavioral &
Emotive Loyalty, Brand Personality, Price &
Promotion Index and Shopping Style
• Consumers were highly involved and
• Drivers of consumer brand equity include:
awareness, purchase consideration, and
• Customers faced choice overload, once rules
formed, they turned to habitual auto-pilot
• Customers had “Delta Moments” and were
forced to re-evaluate rules occasionally
• In terms of the general brand equity index,
Sunsilk, Garnier, Wella, and VO5 were the
• Brand equity by rate of adoption: [Trend
Setters] Sunsilk and Garnier; [Mainstream]
Sunsilk and Garnier; [Stragglers] Sunsilk, Well,
• Offer more promotions to consumers in order to
trigger “Delta Moments” with consumers that
tend to purchase competitive brands
• Change their product packaging to be more
opaque and have the ability to stand better on its
lid as well as change their promotions strategy to
move them closest to “elegant”, which would
make it the most strongly associated with
“elegant”, “confident”, and professional”.