The slides used at the March 2018 OWASP Edinburgh meetup to share a look at common roles within cybersecurity from the perspective of a Managing Consultant who’s been through several in quick succession and an introspective analysis of what makes a successful cybersecurity professional.
Analyst, Engineer or Consultant?
DOES IT EVEN MATTER?
• Alumnus of Napier University
• Managing Consultant at ECS [Security]
• Splunk Enablement Lead, Engineer & Architect
• Previous Roles:
• Security Engineer, SOC Analyst, IT Technician
• I’m Dangerous
• [A little] knowledge is powerful right?
• I’m speaking for me, not my employer.
• These are thoughts, not facts.
• Starting Out in Cybersecurity
• Security Domains & Roles
• Personal Journey
• Foundational Knowledge & Skills
• Interviewing Tips
• Tips for ”Professionals”
Aspiring, Current, Former
Starting Out in Cybersecurity
Security Domains (ISC2 CBK)
Security Primary Experience
• CV (2-3 Pages, Clear, Concise, Skills, Community, Basics)
• Preparation (Research, Interviewers, Arrival)
• Situation, Task, Action, Result (STAR for Competency Questions)
• During (Breathe, Vocalise, Water, Questions)
• After (Relax, Review, Repeat)
Tips for ”Professionals”
• Splunk User Group Edinburgh
• Security MeetUp Scotland
• Cyber Scotland Connect
• The Cyber Academy
• ENU Security Society at Edinburgh Napier
• Sigint Security Society at the University of Edinburgh
• ISC2 Scottish Chapter
• 2600 Edinburgh
• ISACA Scottish Chapter
• OWASP Scotland