20 Kinds Of People Who Do The Best Customer Service
20 kinds of people who
do the best Customer
Learn the skills required to do top notch customer service and be
known for providing amazing customer experiences.
Issues you never understood fully are already issues you
will never fix.
• Clarify when absolutely necessary, but have a keen
ear for their problems.
• Remember that an early ‘Can I have some more
information?’ is much better than a late ‘I’m sorry but
we need you to explain the issue again.’
Develop good communication skills.
• Speak crisp and also speak to the point.
• Being polite and being a good speaker is half the
customer service battle won.
Never let any customer get to you.
• Learn the art of patience.
• A little bit of frustration from your end could seriously
damage good customer relationships.
As a customer service representative, be completely
informed about the product.
• Swift responses, yet efficient ones are the need of
• Gather complete product knowledge
Positive attitude matters while doing customer
• If you think it cannot be done, the customer is
automatically going to give up on you and move
to your competitor.
• Try saying ‘We shall definitely consider adding
this feature’ rather than ‘We cannot get that
feature added for you.’
Be honest and be a man of your word.
• Never lie about doing something you can’t.
• If it is getting delayed, communicate the same to
your customer and give a timeline.
• Keeping customers in the dark is a terrible
practice that ruins customer loyalty.
It does not look good blanking out when a customer
• Understand the customers’ problem and think of
creative and genuine ways to offer immediate
• If you cannot think of one right away, request for
• Make sure you get back to your customer in that
You need to build some sense of responsibility
when at fault.
• These are two words that heal any wound –
• Take ownership of the fault and apologize.
• Most importantly do the needful to rectify the
It is imperative that you understand your company’s
• Be a good time manager.
• Understand time management and give
• Make sure your team sticks to them.
Planners never succumb under pressure.
• Have a strategic plan to answer any kind of
• Even if he is intimidating, let the customer finish
• Follow it up by clearly stating that you will get back
to him on it. .
The easiest way to understand your customer’s problem
is to really put yourself in the shoes of the customer.
• Think of a real life situation where you would have
had a similar problem.
• Ask yourself what would be the best response you
• Take it a notch higher when you do it for your
customer and we have a winner.
The Proactive Climber
If you know your customers have asked you for
something specific, be proactive enough to do what he
• Go that extra mile to do something to please him.
• A little extra effort goes a long way in pleasing
• Add a personal touch to it. The impact is priceless.
Would you speak to a support agent who laughs at
• Learn to empathize with your customer.
• Remember that there is a sea of difference
between sympathy and empathy.
• Understand his issue and Immediately take all
available efforts to help him out.
A good learner makes only one mistake.
• When there are mistakes, learn from them.
Analyze the reasons why it happened and leave
no stone unturned to ensure such mistakes never
• If mistakes repeat, customers don’t.
Not all the time can you give everything a customer asks.
• It is a highly important skill-set to be able to persuade
your customer into getting the time needed to give
• It is even more important to convince the customer that
you have done your best and that this will definitely help
The Method Actor
It is indeed necessary to be genuine. But it is not wrong to
occasionally adapt to how the customer feels and act in a
way that he appreciates.
• If he sounds like an emotional wreck and you continue
to stay cheerful, it is only going to worsen things.
• Assess the situation carefully and act accordingly.
• Nothing can be done without the basic computer skills.
You need to be quick to respond and for that you need
to know where to find the answers.
• Without the basic technical skill set on your computer,
you can never do good customer service.
Never get too personal with the customer.
• Even if he talks about his personal issues, never go
about giving personal instances from your life.
• Stay focused on the crux of the problem and make
sure that you are generating the suitable efforts for its
The Funny Guy
Customer service is not about being serious all the time.
• Engage the customer in good conversations, crack a
few jokes and keep the interaction light and jovial.
• That way, even if you have bad news like a delayed
delivery, he will take it in his stride and not fret about
The final and most vital goal of any customer service
interaction is to close the deal.
• Never stretch it out for weeks on end and irritate
• Close the issue or make sure you assign the right
person to do it.