RCE Waikato Lightning Asia-Pacific RCE Hangzhou 2019
1. RCE Waikato, Aotearoa New Zealand
2. RCE Challenge/Issue:
• Lack of provision of climate education in formal education inadequate national planning and fragmented
provision in informal and industry sectors
3. RCE Education Strategy and Response to Challenge/Issue.
• Programme of youth / student leadership, a concerted youth voice for political action
• Collaborating with schools, NGO’s and Universities to bring coherence to climate learning programmes and
support provision in schools.
• Anticipate providing a professional development programme
4. Links to the SDGs and what targets this initiative addresses?
• Quality Education (SDG 4) – addresses - inclusive society, preparation for just transitions to
renewable energy and diversified agriculture
• Climate Action (SDG 13) – students leading urgency . Youth-led Zero carbon
• Decent work (SDG 8) –Vocational education for new jobs re Just Transitions
• Partnerships (SDG 17) – Schools, NGO’s, Academics, Faith groups, government