Domain registration - Basics for Dummies by Haneef Puttur
My Blog : www.haneefputtur.com
WHAT IS COVERED
How to select
How to register
How to transfer
How to Sell
Points to Note
WHAT IS DOMAIN NAME?
A domain name is the address where Internet
users can access your website.
A domain name is used for finding and
identifying computers on the Internet.
STRUCTURE OF A DOMAIN NAME
TLD : Is also called extension of the domain. Based on the nature of your requirement
and geographical area you can choose a right domain. Example : .com, .net, .ae, .sa,
SLD : Second level domain is the name of your entity or business.
Third Level or Sub Domain : This is the sub group within your company. An domain
name have any number of subdomains.
CHOOSING A DOMAIN
Decide the domain name
Decide the extension
Make sure domain name is meaningful and easy to convey
Make sure domain name is not very long
Make sure the domain name is not violating any registered trade names
Search for Availability
www.haneefputtur.com - www.digixonline.com
HOW TO FIND AVAILABILITY
• Visit www.digixonline.com
• Search for the desired domain name
• System will show all available domain along with some suggestions.
• Select the one which suits your needs.
• If required select multiple domains which represent same entity.
HOW TO REGISTER
• After selecting the domain.
• Select register new account
• Make sure to provide accurate contact info as this will be displayed as the owner of
• If you want to hide the ownership info then Select Privacy Protect feature for an
• Make Payment ( Paypal / Offline)
FINDING OWNER OF A DOMAIN - WHOIS
This is a service available in most of the domain service providers which will give you
following information of any domains.
• Registration Date
• Expiry date
• Entity Registered
• Technical / Admin contact of the domain
• Name Server [ Which gives idea where the website is hosted]
DOMAIN AS AN INVESTMENT
• If you find good domain names [Premium Domain ]you can buy and sell / auction for
a better price.
• Price of a good domain varies from [10 USD to Millions of USD]
• Short domains have high face value.
• Check auctions.godaddy.com to see the selling price of premium domains.
• Always make sure you own the domain username and password.
• Make sure domain is locked for any unauthorized transfer
• Make sure the domain whois shows the updated and accurate contact info.
• Always renew at least 15 days in advance.
• Make sure to deal with reputed domain vendors to avoid any issues in renewals.
TRANSFERRING DOMAIN – IN / OUT
• If you are not happy with your current registrar you can move the domain to
• To move make sure of following:
You hold the domain transfer key – [ EPP Key]
Domain status is not locked
Whois search shows the exact email id of registered owner
Domain is valid for at least 15 days. [Plan movement in advance]
TRANSFERRING DOMAIN – STEPS
• Login to your future registrar website
• Create your account -Select Transfer domain -Enter domain name and EPP key -
Make payment to initiate the process.
• System will send an email to the current owner -> once current owner to approve ->
system will send the request to current registrar. -> After 5 days if there is no cancel
request domain will be moved to new registrar.
• Note that pending domain validity will be added to expiry date.