SOCIAL MEDIA IS :
* It is media that is designed to be shared, sharing means that it is easy to
comment on, that it is easy to send, there are no costs associated with viewing the
media and last but not least it is always available.
* Social media enables people to share information with friends and colleges
using the Internet .
SOCIAL NETWORKING :
Social Networking is the use of communities to engage with others: Facebook,
MySpace, LinkedIn, Twitter. Social Networking sites often include social media
tools to facilitate the interaction and conversation .
SOCIAL NETWORKING :
• Keeping in
WHY IS SOCIAL MEDIA IMPORTANT?
The average young American now spends every waking minute – except the time in school – using
a smart phone, computer, TV or other electronic device according to a new studies . Those ages 8 –
18 spend more than 7 hours a day with such devices that does not count the hour and a half that
youths spend texting or talking on their phones .
16 TO 24 YEAR OLDS :
- They have higher demands on social media .
- They expect information to be brief, instant and always on (there are no office hours)
HOW POPULAR ARE SOCIAL NETWORKS ?
- According to the analysts, social networks in general are more popular than
search engines in some parts of the world .
- Facebook’s overall web traffic pulled ahead of Google’s for the first time in the
U.S. in March of this year.
- Facebook dominates the current crop of social networks, accounting for the
majority (55%) of all social site visits.
WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA AND HOW CAN YOU USE
IT TO ENHANCE STUDENT SUPPORT ?
- Social Media provides context, pictures, words, shared meaning
- Facebook, YouTube ( some examples –education programme information,
housing, orientation, announcements)
- Social Networking website is a revolutionary idea with a very bright
future with further scope for advancements .
- The world is getting closer everyday and everyone wants to be
- The future of social networking looks very promising but still it has to
deal with the problems associated with it.