Upgrading WALLA's 600TB
Solaris ZFS Storage
environment from Solaris
10 To Solaris 11
Avi Avraham – Walla
Haim Tzadok – Grigale
1. Replace old hardware (T2000, FC).
2. Migrate from Old Storage HW to new Storage
3. Better Storage Utilization
4. Upgrade from Solaris 10 to Solaris 11
5. Restore High availability characteristics.
1. Migrate zpool from old SPARC architecture to X86 using zfs
send|zfs recv for ZFS pools with luns > 4TB.
• Snapshot the current pool
• Clone the pool and add it to X86 environment.
• Build a new pool with building blocks of 4TB luns.
Using 4TB luns will allow storage operations on the luns in the new storage.
• Use ‘screen’ and perform the send/recv operation.
• Scrub the new pool with ‘zpool scrub <pool-name>`
• Upgrade the pool using `zpool upgrade <pool-name>`
2. Solaris version alignment to the same version
1. Install Solaris 11.1 on all servers.
3. Add ZFS user properties to the pool.
1. Adding a zfs property is very easy –
2. E.g: zfs set walla:server=s1 rpool
3. E.g: zfs set walla:vip=10.10.10.10
4. Restore High availability characteristics.