1. Cause of pump Vibrations
2. The Most common type of pump is..
ANS: Centrifugal Pump
3. On a multiple screw pump, the motor that is driven by the
timing gears is called ..
ANS: Drive Motor
4. The things I need to know about a pump before I begin a
routine inspection are..
ANS: Normal Flow Rate, Operating temperature, type of liquid,
Normal Discharge Pressure
5. What type of Head exist on the discharge of a pump when
the pump is not running?
ANS: Suction Head
6. All the parts that need to be inspected when checking a
pump for leaks…
ANS: Mechanical Seal & Internal Seal
7. Cavitations can be caused by an increase in…
ANS: the temperature of the process liquid.
8. Minimum net positive suction head is the least amount of
suction head is required to…
ANS: prevent cavitations
9. What can be done to stop or minimize cavitations?
ANS: The suction pressure can be increase
10. The problem that can happen when the pumped fluid
temperature is too high is….ANS: Cavitations
11. Wecompare the actual flow rate through a pump, to the
design flow rate to find…
12. Thepossible cause of an improper pressure reading on a
ANS: A blocked strainer
13. Whichvalves are normally opened when starting a
ANS: Suction Valve
function of a valve is….
ANS: To move fluids from one point to another
15. Theproblems that can cause a pump to have an improper
instrumentation readings Are…
ANS: Blocked pipe, valve in wrong position & wrong pump
is usually the RESULT of cavitations…
ANS: Worn internal pump parts.
17. Minimumnet positive suction head is usually referred to in..
ANS: Level or pressure
is the result of severe cavitations?
ANS: Pitting of internal pump surface
a running centrifugal pump, what piece of equipment
reduces leakage from discharge to suction side..
ANS: Wear ring
20. The place where it is not normal to find even a small amount
of leak is..
21. What effect do pumps that are operating in series have on
ANS: Increase the fluid pressure.
22. Duringa routine pump inspection, is not usually
ANS: to adjust the mechanical seals leak off rate.
23. Name4 types of pumps..
ANS: Centrifugal, reciprocating, gear &lobe.
24. Name2 types of pumps found in YOUR plant..
ANS: centrifugal &reciprocating pump.
25. Whatis SOP?
ANS: Standard Operating Procedures
26. Nametwo types of valves found in your plant..
ANS: Gate Valve , Pressure relieve valve.
27. Name 4 types of valves…
ANS: Gate valve, pressure control valve, ball valve, & pressure
28. Whatdo you do when you find that the pump is leaking?
ANS: report to the shift team leader.
4 risk control measures to minimize risk?
ANS: Use Permit-to Work System, Conduct Risk Assessment,
conduct Tool-Box meeting & wear proper PPE.
30. What kind of drivers are there in a pump?
ANS: Electrical motors,pneumatic motors driven by compressed
air,steam turbines gas turbines & diesel/petrol engines.(booklet
31. What are process parameters?
ANS: pump flow discharge pressure, flow temperature, flow
rate, motor meter current(amp).
can I find the specifications of the pump?
ANS: Mechanical catalogue/manuals.