Lisa Koivunen, Risks and Threats in over promoting
RISKS AND THREATS
IN SOCIAL MEDIA
Risks in over promoting
Social Media in marketing
#1 General ”definition” of over promoting?
#2 Special elements and uses in over promoting?
#3 Common over promoting mistakes companies do?
#4 How to prevent over promoting?
OVER PROMOTING, WHAT’S THAT?
Company who is using social media as their marketing
channel is promoting their business too much in different
Social Media channels/groups
All they do in social media is to boost their sales & develop
All they post in other’s social media sites is aimed to get more
followers, likes, clicks and so on…
Over posting = posting on Facebook too many times a day or
on twitter too many times during an hour
SPECIAL ELEMENTS OF
Companies that are over promoting themselves are:
Posting on Facebook every hour
Tweeting in every 5 minutes
Posting only promotional updates in Social Media
Selling their products in Social Media
Sending too many newsletters and/or without asking a permission to
• In short, promoting so much that people feels forced to look up their
materials (what makes them Not to look up those)
COMPANIES SHOULD AVOID
• Commenting someone else’s post just to leave there a link to
their own website/ Social Media site
• Joining communities just to share their own promotional posts
• Liking their own content
HOW TO PREVENT /OVERCOME
• Start by being a nice ”person”
• Focus on interacting with your followers
• Promote your business wisely, but concentrate more on getting to
know people and building relationships
• Ask questions, answer your followers’ comments
• Arouse your followers’ interest in your business by posting
interesting and interactive content
• Post pictures, be funny if it fits to your corporate culture
• Comment other companies' posts, by adding value
• ask questions, share your own opinion around the theme, start
So. . .
• Keep it positive
• Protect your reputation
• Grow your business in a positive direction
• Be patient - building a reputation in Social Media
takes time and effort
• Be interactive and be a ”thing” that is Fun to follow!