• The HCA Higher Education Library will be
situated on the College Road campus.
• We offer a dedicated Art Library service
meeting the specific needs of art college
• This slideshow is a general introduction
but all new students will receive a course
specific library induction within the library.
• The HCA student card you receive when
enrolling is also your library card. Bring it
to the library to join.
• Joining the College Road Library means
you may also borrow items from the HCA
FE library & the Hereford College of
Technology (HCT) library, both located at
• The HCA library shares an online
catalogue with HCT. The catalogue is
online and may be viewed from any
• You can view all the library stock and
access your own account to see your
current loans, renew or reserve items.
• You can access the catalogue directly at
• All items must be issued at the desk
before leaving the library.
• Most books can be borrowed for 4 weeks.
Short loan books, magazines and DVDs
can be borrowed for 7 days.
• You are allowed to borrow 10 items at any
• All items are subject to fines if returned
late. Charges only apply to the days on
which the Library is open, payable at the
• DVDs 50p per day
• 7 day loans 20p per day
• 4 week loans 10p per day
• You can renew items online before they
• If a book you want is on loan you can
reserve it at the desk, or online. We will let
you know when your book arrives if we
have your email address.
Inter Library Loans
• You can also request books or journal
articles that we do not have in the college
library through the Inter-library loan
system. This costs £2 per request.
• Please ask at the desk for a form or fill
one in on the library page of StudentNet &
email it to us.
Online Library Resources
• Access the Online Library Resources on
StudentNet for databases, e-journals,
recommended websites, A-Z DVD listings
and much more.
• Through the college databases students
can access thousands of newspaper &
• Students can access the databases from
home if they register with Athens.
Online Library Resources
• You will be shown how to access & use
the databases during your library
• There is a materials shop in the HCA Folly
Lane library selling pens, pencils,
sketchbooks, workshop coats, pen-drives,
photo paper, paints etc.
• All are sold at specially reduced prices just
for HCA students.
• The library contains thousands of books
on all aspects of art & design.
• Each subject area has its own section
within the library.
• Please ask at the desk if you cannot find
what you want.
Newspapers & Journals
• The Library journals cover all aspects of
the arts. All except the latest copy can be
borrowed for a week. 1000s of back
copies are available.
• Daily papers are available to view.
• Before you can use a library computer you
will need to get your personal log-in details
from the ILT suite.
• Printing costs are deducted from your
college print credit.
• All library computers have internet access
and are connected to colour printers.
• The art library has a large collection of
DVDs including new and classic films,
performing arts, animation, art & design
and documentaries. They are free to
• An A – Z listing of DVDs is available on
• There is a study room accessible from
within the library. This room is for
individual quiet study only.
• The careers section contains
postgraduate prospectuses and career
• The HCA library is staffed by specialist art
• Please ask at the library desk if you have
any queries regarding course work or
Library Opening Hours
• Term Time:Term Time:
• Mons - Thurs: 9.30 am – 8.00 pm
• Friday: 9.30 am – 4.00pm
• See StudentNet for holiday opening times
• Visit our HCA Library Facebook page toVisit our HCA Library Facebook page to
keep up with events both local & national.keep up with events both local & national.
• Opening timesOpening times
• Online resources & so much more..Online resources & so much more..