Somerset Care & Repair:
Seizing New Opportunities
Rural Housing Plus
• Successful in two bids totalling £1.46M
• Working in South Somerset and Mendip
District Council areas
Largest town is Yeovil population of 40,000
Wells – 11,340
Shepton Mallet - 9027
• 2,500 registered empty homes in South
Somerset 1000 over six months empty
• 1441 empty properties in Mendip
The First Property
• The Gate House
Superintendents house looking after the cemetery
Local volunteers cleared the cemetery but didn’t know what to
do with the house.
Bad history with abuse and drugs.
• Put in planning to convert to two flats.
Last minute someone listed it.
Milford the story so far:
1. Purchased it in April 2014
2. First issue was the LA wanted to charge us £34,101 towards sports, arts
3. VO report - £309.00
4. Topographical survey - £714.00
Fifty Shades of Grey
• Conservation Officers, Planning Officers and Ecological Officers
• The addition cost of £90,000 to get on site in Benedict Street and Milford.
• £12,000 lost rental income due to delays on Benedict Street and a further
£18,000 lost due to delays on Milford.
• Tribal – same language, different meanings.
• We have brought back into use 32 properties providing accommodation for
those in greatest housing need. (those who private landlords and Housing
associations prefer not to deal with)
• Tribal – Have been helpful, understanding, flexible and supportive
• Local Authority support – £110,000 of grant funding to date + additional
£100,000 of capital to carry on in South Somerset in next financial year.
• Training for people on probation, homeless hostel, prison, Restore Trust,
Tribal (education and training)
• Success has led to the possibility of a further £300,000 to undertake work in
other district areas.