Top 10 Strategies to Improve Productivity and the Bottom Line
Top 10 Productivity Tips for
Productivity is Key
• As a self-employed professional, your
livelihood depends on your ability to
consistently remain productive.
• All too often, seemingly productive work-
sessions turn into a blogging session, FB status
updates or YouTube video marathons.
• These distractions will cut into your bottom
line by decreasing your output exponentially.
1. Minimize Social Networking
• Avoid checking your accounts several times per hour.
• Social media marketing can be valuable to your
business, but checking your Twitter, Facebook or other
social networking messages too often can often waste
hours throughout the day.
• Limit the number of times you allow yourself to check
your messages each day.
• Check for new messages in the morning after you have
done some work, during lunch, and in the evening
• That way, social networking keeps its proper place
instead of stealing opportunities.
2. Clean and De-Clutter Your Space
• A cluttered space can cause a mental block that
can last several hours.
• Ensure that your work surface is clutter free and
that any unnecessary paperwork is tucked away.
• Make use of file cabinets, storage boxes, and
• Before you leave your office each evening, take a
few minutes to clear any clutter.
• Just five minutes of maintenance every day can
make a huge difference in the peace you feel as
you begin each new workday.
3. Define "visiting hours"
• If you work at home, you are familiar with the frustration of
family members popping into your office to chat.
• Make it clear that when you are involved in work projects,
trivial interruptions must wait until your scheduled break
• If necessary, hang a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your office
door to keep interruptions at bay.
• If you work from home, but your workspace is set up in a
highly trafficked area, try noise-blocking headphones to
eliminate the sounds around you.
• If you cannot find a secluded workspace, try separating
your workspace with a curtain or a bookshelf to maximize
4. Remove Distractions
• When you are working on your proposal or project, it is
all too easy to let your mind wander.
• There is software available which can block websites
that are known to cause lulls in your productivity.
• Ignore calls that are not related to your business while
in the office. As long as you're prompt in returning a
call, it is perfectly acceptable to send a client's call to
• In fact, you can save time by offering email as your
main point of contact.
• Often, a 45-minute conversation can be reduced to one
or two very short emails back and forth
5. Attend to Physical Health
• To keep your mind strong and maintain an appropriate
workflow, make wise choices and take care of your
• You will have more energy to tackle your to-do list and
more will get done.
• Stay away from heavy foods.
• Exercise on a regular basis and make sure you receive a
good amount of sleep each night.
• For best results, exercise in the early morning before
starting work. It will give you an energy boost that is
better than coffee, and improve your mood with no
6. Sprints, not a Marathon
• Most independent professionals find it best to
work in sets of 15 to 45 minutes.
• Work through this time without any bathroom
breaks, phone calls, or time wasting Web
• After completing your sprint, take a short five
to ten minute break and begin working on
your second sprint of uninterrupted work
• Once you get started on a project, it can be easy
to lose track of time and forget about breaks.
• Short, regular breaks are essential to the
effectiveness of your work and your overall
• Take a five minute break every hour or so in order
to reap the highest rewards.
• Step away from the computer on a regular basis
to prevent repetitive stress injuries like carpal
tunnel, backaches, and eyestrain.
8. Tweak Your Schedule
• You are no longer part of the traditional “rat
• So, if you are not reaching your productivity peak
during the 9-to-5 schedules, change it up a bit.
• Many freelancers find that they are most
productive in the early morning hours of 5 am to
• If you are more of a night owl, turn those
sleepless nights into money making hours by
cranking out some work.
9. Make Yourself Comfortable
• If you have to hunch your back to reach your
short desk, back pain and discomfort will hinder
• Furnish your office with a desk and chair that are
the right height for you.
• Stay away from bright wall colors that will distract
you from your work. Cooler tones are ideal wall
colors for an office area. They promote effective
thinking and soothe your eyes.
10. Keep Your Eyes on the Prize
• Motivate yourself to increase your productivity by
imagining how great you will feel once the
project is completed.
• Imagine the financial rewards.
• Feel the pride you experience when your work is
• Imagine how your family will benefit.
• Try creating a wish list on your favorite shopping
website, and buy an item on the list each time
you complete a big project or achieve a
• As an independent professional, you
need to function at maximum capacity.
• You have control of your time, and these
ideas will help you to make the most of
• Choose one or more of these strategies
today and begin to experience the
personal, business, and financial success
• To your continued success!!
• For more tips and more information
in improving your productivity, as
well as your bottom line, visit