Famous Feats of
By: Greta Thomson
Who built it and when?
● Founded in 960 by King Edgar and St.
● King Henry was the Architect but, Henry of
Reynes, Robert of Beverly, and John of
Gloucester supervised the work
● Present church began in 1245
● It has been a coronation church since 1066
Where is it? What type of structure?
● Located in Westminster, London
● A Gothic Church that has a...
○ burial ground
○ chapter house
● Architectural masterpiece of the 13th to
● Has many beautiful textiles, paintings and
artifacts inside the church
How was it built?
● Edward the confessor rebuilt monastery
and added church in 11th century
● Henry III rebuilt church 200 years later
○ After William the conqueror's coronation
● Many things were added over centuries
Why is it important?
● Collegiate church of St. Peter
● 3000 significant people in nations history
are buried there
● Final resting place of 17 monarchs
● Has medieval shrine to Angelo - Saxon Saint
● Post reformation church
Why does it appeal to me?
● Very important to many people in the world
● Has amazing architecture
● Wanted to learn more about the history of
the building and how much of an impact it is
on our society
I think that Westminster Abbey and many
other famous buildings are considered
timeless because within these buildings they
hold our nations history and meaning that is
important for us to understand in our modern
Thank you for watching my presentation on