Notice I didn’t say…• Will
YOU NEED A HULK Why?
• Because you need someone who is not afraid to SMASH through a problem with willful abandon and ignoring the consequences. • These people help break the problem barrier and push you through to the next level. • These are the late-night riders that never stop, they take caffeine and push until it's done. • When the rest of the team needs a break, they don’t stop pushing till the they break-through the wall.
You need a flash Why?
• There are people that can do the steady state and push out consistency, but sometimes you need something done yesterday today – this is the Flash. • You call the Flash 5 minutes to Keynote to fix a broken demo. • Where the Hulk SMASHES, the Flash BLAZES a trail • The Flash doesn't stop for anyone, if you can't get on the train, the exit is to your left, he's got a job to do and he's not slowing down for anyone.
You need a Spiderman Why?
• You need the steady-state player, the one that is always Pushing Tin. • Dedication, Responsibility, Persistence. • Spiderman knows people are counting on them and Never gives up. • He might not break the wall or rip through their sprint the fastest – but he’ll make sure it’s done right, taking the time to work with others and build the team. • And everyone needs a joker to keep things light.
You need Dr. Manhattan Why?
• Because someone needs to ask the hard questions that no one is thinking about. • Someone needs to push everyone's thinking from the current level to the next one. • This is how a team grows, they question, they learn, they push, they improve. • You need the person that is thinking about the EDGE cases, contemplating user scenarios and the next few releases ahead while working on the current problem.
You need a BATMAN Why?
• I know you were all waiting for this one. • But you only need Batman for one reason as illustrated here. • There are no fancy skills or gimics save one – “Keep the Team on Point.” - • No refactoring for the sake of refactoring, no forgetting about the bugs in the quest to get it done fast.
They are all leaders for
different scenarios Need to make the hard call to undo a month’s worth of hard work? Need to ship a BETA to a customer tomorrow? Need to keep product shipping when chaos is all around you? Need to establish next year’s vision for what we want to accomplish? Need to keep the focus on next year’s budget planning session and not this week’s bean bag chairs?
FlyA great team rotates through
the opportunities realizing that not everyone is an expert at everything and we all have certain skills to best suited to certain scenarios. These skills and character traits matter when hiring people, they are what build a great team. Everything else is a learned skill. Create the right team and they can learn and build anything.
Lastly, don’t build ateam on…
• Gender • Love life • Choice of Restaurant • Favourite Breed of Dog • Video Game Skills • Spirituality These are all distractions to the ultimate goal of creating the best team possible. They have no place in influencing your decision to select a team and only serve to limit your choices. You want the best… so pick from the best.