Use of graphs for
Diego Olano, Francisco Rodríguez
Extracting social networks of politicians and relevant third party actors
based on different media sources (news articles) and parliamentary data
These networks can be used for news summarization and for detecting
patterns of collaboration/opposition between politicians, companies and
NGOs indicative of a lobbying process.
● Co-occurrence based approach
● Topic based approach
Searching for articles regarding to
Democratic Representative Garnet Coleman
Found 1200 articles from 4 different new sites
Extract entities and form links based on
sentence based distance metric.
Resulting filtered graph of entities with more
than ten co-occurences with Garnet.
● Ongoing process…
● Demo available at http://www.whoyouelect.com/, shown at Poster session
● Available for the Catalan and Texan parliaments on May 2015
Challenges we are facing
● Defining thresholds for the relevance of relationships
● Recognizing and disambiguating entities/coreference resolution over different
● Validating the social networks obtained