Premium Paper and Board
Cost Centre: 871 Job Reference: Perm P 35 Hrs
Technical and Product
Premium Paper and Board,
Job Title: Quality Engineer
(staff / equipment)
N/A Reports to: Quality Manager, Markinch
Budget: N/A Sales Turnover: N/A
• To drive continual improvement in the Quality of the Company’s products and services through
the use and development of the Quality Management System.
• To provide Quality specialist support, to all Business functions, to enable the delivery of improved
Main Accountabilities &
• Set, promote and ensure adherence to Quality standards
• Identify opportunities for product and process improvement and initiate their delivery through the
Quality Management System.
• Develop and update the Quality Management System, to ensure that all areas of the Mill have current
work standards and supporting documentation to deliver a consistent approach and Quality
• Deliver Quality improvement through robust ISO9001:2008 internal audits
• Provide specialist Quality input to Product Development Meetings to ensure the continuous
improvement of products and processes.
• Provide conclusions and recommendations from product Cpk analyses to ensure the delivery of
• Initiate problem solving and ‘troubleshooting’ activities, liaising with Managers, Team Leaders and
Operators and make recommendations in line with findings.
• Deliver Quality training and presentations for Operators and Management
• Create, provide and use non-conformance information and data to drive Quality improvement
• Create and amend product specifications, using the Quality Information System (QIS), in line with
customer requests for product variations.
• Develop and propose specifications from New Product Enquiries.
• Provide customers with information about product quality, in order to aid their decision making, for
example, preparing and supplying Test Certificates, Specification Sheets and Outturn Samples.
• Carry out New Product testing in the laboratory.
Undertake weekly internal calibration of laboratory equipment and ensure that the appropriate external
checks are arranged.
Premium Paper and Board
Key Competencies for
• Safety Focus
• Drive for Quality and Customer Service
• Improvement Focus
• Problem Solving
• Practical knowledge of testing regimes
• Computer literate
• Team Work
• Attention to detail
The role holder should have quality assurance experience, including up to date knowledge of ISO9001:
2008. S/he must be self motivated, flexible and responsive, capable of juggling a number of priorities and
able to balance a scheduled workload with problem solving challenges that arise. The role holder will work
as part of a small team and will also liaise extensively with other teams across the organisation. Accordingly,
people skills are important, including clear, concise communication skills and the ability to build effective
working relationships with others, to engender continuous improvement. The role holder must be methodical
and well organised, with a strong focus on quality and customer service. Given the well developed safety
ethos within the organisation, it is vital that s/he observes and encourages best practice in this area.
Key Requirements Essential Desirable
• Knowledge and experience of quality
assurance, including ISO9001: 2008.
• Experience gained in the paper-making
• Understanding of papermaking terms
• Knowledge of both papermaking & coating
• Awareness and understanding of different
Technical skills &
• IT skills, e.g. data analysis (Minitab); MS
Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Practical application of process & product
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Practical use of process and product testing
Qualifications • Quality Assurance qualification. • Qualified to HNC/Degree level in a relevant
discipline, e.g. Engineering, Chemistry.
To operate a sustainable, employee-owned business
• A progressive approach to Safety
• A progressive approach to the
• Open and honest communication
• Rewarding and recognising success
• Fulfilling the needs of our customers
• Continually improving our products and
• Effective development and training of our
• Employee involvement and teamwork
• Working with openness, honesty and
The role holder is involved in a Weekend On-Call rota. The requirements currently include being on call one
weekend in every six, from close of business on Friday until 8am Monday, with on-site attendance required
on both Saturday and Sunday.
Agreed by Line
Name: Gordon Smith Date: 23/04/2013
Agreed by HR: Name: Charlene Duffy Date: 23/04/2013