built to address storage performance issues
encountered in Ceilometer
designed to be used to store time series and
their associated resource metadata
background workers which
aggregate data to minimise
MY USE CASE
tired of you tellin' the story your way…
collect usage information for hundreds of
thousands of metrics* over many months for
use in capacity planning recommendations
* data is received in batches every x minutes. not streaming
POST ~1000 generic resources with
20 metrics each (20K metrics)
60 measures per metric.
policy rolls up to minute, hour, and day.
8 different aggregations each*.
* min, max, sum, average, median, 95th
percentile, count, stdev
METRIC PROCESSING RATE
• rate drops
• high variance in
this doesn’t happen in NFS backend.
“LEARNING” HOW TO USE CEPH
everybody's somebody's fool…
give it more power!
add another node… and 10 more OSDs…
and more PG groups… and some SSDs for
▪ aggregate of aggregates
▪ get max of means, stdev of maxs, etc…
▪ dynamic resources
▪ create and modify resource definitions
▪ aggregate on demand
▪ avoid/minimise background aggregation tasks and
defer until request