The Crutchfield House, a hotel built in 1847, was christened the Foard Hospital in honor of
the Army of Tennessee’s field medical director. It stood where the Read House stands today.
The hotel burned in 1870. Photo courtesy of the Chattanooga Public Library.
Kate Cumming, chief matron of the
Newsome Hospital in Chattanooga
Dr. Charles Todd Quintard, Chaplain
General to the Confederate Army
View of Chattanooga and the Tennessee River
taken from Lookout Mountain - 1864.
“That hallowed spot! There
reposes the dust of men from
every state in the South. There is
naught to mark the places where
these heroes sleep, save slight
mounds of earth; at the head of
each is a small piece of
Federal soldiers are shown with a 200-pound cannon on Cameron
Hill. Photo courtesy of the Chattanooga Public Library.
“Truly the first monument which
our Confederacy rears, when our
independence shall have been
won, should be a lofty shaft, pure
and spotless, bearing this
inscription: „TO THE
Bishop Stephen Elliot
Senior Bishop of the Confederacy
Standing on the right in the foreground is Capt. J. F. Shipp, Quartermaster-General
U. C. V. along with several members of the UCV, UDC, and Chattanooga area
dignitaries. Photo: Confederate Veteran Magazine, February 1914
In the 1890s various Confederate
burials were found during work for the
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National
Military Park and they were reinterred in
the Chattanooga Confederate Cemetery.
In 1995, the Confederate Cemetery was restored and rededicated through the
combined efforts of the City of Chattanooga, members of the Sons of Confederate
Veterans, and the Military Order of the Stars and Bars.
“We do give thee thanks, most gracious God, for such peace, harmony and good will among those who were
once at war… And we would earnestly beseech thee to evermore deliver us from the sword. May no root of
bitterness ever spring up again to trouble us, but may we live as brethren – and that this day bless our land.”