Bristol Smart Energy City Presentation - Simon Roberts
Towards a smart energy city?
Presentation to Bristol 2015 Go Green Event
1 July 2015
Simon Roberts OBE
Chief Executive @cse_bristol
• Our vision for Bristol Smart Energy City
• The Collaboration and its purpose
• What needs to be understood
• The importance of scale and the public interest
• Implications for policy – ‘in spite of’ or ‘because of’?
Our Smart Energy City ‘Vision’
By 2020, having taken an integrated approach to
smart meter roll-out and city-wide data capture and
analytics, Bristol will have a public-interest
organisation orchestrating smart use, distribution
and supply of heat and power across the city.
Opportunities for a ‘smart energy city’
• Curbing energy waste and peak demand
• Enhancing the value of local distributed energy generation
• Smart approaches to tackling fuel poverty
• Stimulating & capturing the economic benefits of being smarter
• Developing fine grain understanding of city energy system
But what to do now (and next) to realise these?
• Linked to Bristol 2015, funded principally from ‘in kind’
• KPMG, DNV-GL, Arup, Bristol City Council (‘energy’ and ‘futures’)
University of Bristol (computer science, electronic engineering, estates),
Western Power Distribution, Knowle West Media Centre, Secure Group,
Demand Logic, Bristol Is Open
• Workshops on each ‘opportunity’ (including wider stakeholder
involvement), shared analysis, plan-making
• Comprehensive road map – or ‘navigational chart’ – by December 2015
• A detailed understanding of complex web of technical, commercial,
regulatory, and social aspects involved
• A clear sense of the skills, capabilities and facilities required across the
• A plan for how these might be viably established and how they might
best be orchestrated
Implications for policy and practice?
• Engagement at city-level in smart meter roll-out plans – with
whom and why?
• More technical experiments or capacity building?
• Regulatory and commercial frameworks for local ‘system services’
and potential to recover value created?
• Opportunities for business energy consumer involvement in