• Introduction + Breakfast 20 min
• GlobalGiving’s Crowdfunding Game Pt 1 60 min
• Break 15 min
• GlobalGiving’s Crowdfunding Game Pt 2 60 min
• Game Summary and Key Takeaways 25 min
• How to join GlobalGiving’s Community 30 min
• Special Guest: Sherry Manning 20 min
Who am I?
Senior Manager of Marketing and Communications, GlobalGiving
• Colorado Native – Posner Center Member
• Communications at Denver Art Museum
• Advisor to Kupona Foundation (Maternal Health in
• Former Kiva Fellow (with Kiva.org in Kenya)
Who are you?
• What is your name?
• What organization are you from?
• What does your organization do (brieﬂy!)?
• Where are your projects are located?
Intro to GlobalGiving
The world’s ﬁrst and largest crowdfunding community that connects
nonproﬁts, donors, and companies in nearly every country around the world.
GlobalGiving is the ﬁrst and largest global
crowdfunding community for nonproﬁts.
We give nonproﬁts access to the tools, training,
and support they need to become more
And because GlobalGiving is trusted by donors
of all sizes (including 135+ really amazing
companies), all around the world, we channel
more extra funding to nonproﬁts than any
other crowdfunding platform.
Our Founders’ Story:
Mari Kuraishi and Dennis Whittle
GlobalGiving’s Core Values
• Always Open
Ø We believe in the power of great ideas and that these ideas can come from anyone,
anywhere, at anytime.
• Never Settle
Ø We have an obligation to question the rules, change them for the better, raise the
bar, play a diﬀerent game, and play it better than anyone thinks is possible.
• Committed to WOW
Ø We act promptly, enthusiastically, and professionally so people are WOW-ed by their
interactions with us.
• Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat.
Ø We continually experiment. We fail quickly and productively. We use data and
feedback to guide our course.
But let’s talk about windfall:
that extra money.
$6.25 million extra in 2014
In the form of: "
matching funds * our marketing * corporate partner
donations * bonus rewards * gift card redemptions
The ‘Net Fee’
The typical GlobalGiving member had a
0% ‘net fee’ in 2014. "
For every $15 that goes to the GlobalGiving fee, we drive,
on average, an additional $20 to the nonproﬁt.
Introduction + Breakfast 20 min
GlobalGiving’s Crowdfunding Game Pt 1 60 min
Break 15 min
GlobalGiving’s Crowdfunding Game Pt 2 60 min
Game Summary and Key Takeaways 25 min
How to join GlobalGiving’s Community 30 min
The Crowdfunding Game
Putting the “Fun” in Fundraising
How it works
Divide yourselves into three teams
The objective: raise $5,000 from at least 40 donors in "
Each team will have 10 hours of staff time each day!
to dedicate to, at most, 3 fundraising activities
At the start of each day, your team will collectively "
decide how to use the hours across different activities
At the end of the day, the results of your efforts will be "
This game is trust-based: you are responsible for keeping "
track of your score, bonuses, and penalties – be honest!
This game is brand new! We are excited to use this as a learning "
tool and hope you are too. Let us know what you think at the "
end so we can make it better.
The results are randomized so there is no favoritism
Everything is ﬁctional
This game was inspired by Trees for the Future (trees.org) "
that uses a similar tool to teach individuals about their farming "
100,000 factors are taken into consideration when
deciding what shows up on your fans’ newsfeed
Among these are:
• How much engagement your past posts have generated?
• Which of your users are regularly engaging with your content?
• How long it has been since you posted that post?
• Are there photos, videos, or links included?
• How many people have already engaged with your post?
More engagement = more visibility
Keep it short
Make it compelling + relevant to your audience
Use large, clear images
Focus on one individual or family
• Create an emotional bond between the reader and "
Make the impact of a potential donor’s action clear
• Be sure to have a call to action and then explain how "
the donor will make a difference
Testing a variable to determine its effects on the outcome
Particularly useful in email marketing and website design
• Test subject lines, content, sender addresses, anything
Be clear on what you are hoping to achieve and how you will "
know your test worked
Different organizations will have different results
Keep iterating and testing to get to the best end product
Use this information to:
• Schedule posts
• See what your audience likes
• Compare your performance to "
What makes a great video
Short! No more than 3 minutes
Even shorter is better
Capture honest and authentic moments from the "
Share positive stories
Keep the message simple and clear
Be careful with effects – they can overpower the video
Use colorful scenes set to music
GlobalGiving recommends using positive imagery
Close-up of one person (or animal) making eye contact
Colorful, high quality photos are typically best
Each year, the number of donors accessing "
GlobalGiving’s platform using a mobile device"
• In many countries, mobile access to the internet is "
easier to get than access through a desktop or"
Google Search Engine Optimization (SEO) places a "
lot of emphasis on websites that are mobile-friendly
• This means that if your site is not mobile-friendly, it is harder to "
ﬁnd in a Google search (on any device!)
Donors want to know the impact that their donation"
is having on the ground
• Donors are more likely to continue giving if they understand "
how their donation was used
Getting updates from the ﬁeld keeps donors engaged
• It gives you an excuse to keep reaching out to them too!
Building trust with donors is crucial in developing"
Why use advocates
With charitable donations, trust is key
How can someone who doesn’t know you or your "
organization, trust you?
Peer recommendations carry a lot of weight
• Ex. Amazon reviews, Yelp, Great Nonproﬁts
• Get your donors to recommend you to their peers
Managing your Advocate
Be sure to set clear, achievable goals for each"
advocate and review them with your advocates
Set progress check-ins to see how they are doing
• Makes them feel valued as a fundraiser
• Also makes the advocates feel more accountable to achieving "
their goals if they know you will reach out to them
• It takes a lot of work to fundraise and you will probably want "
their help again. Make sure your advocates feel appreciated.
Your staff has been invited to a fundraising "
conference tomorrow to learn about effective"
• You can decide to participate in the conference or not
• If you do participate, you skip Day 3 entirely BUT you"
gain an advantage – all of your fundraising on Day 4 "
• If you do not, proceed with Day 3 normally
Fundraising is a LOT of work
Sometimes you can’t know the outcome of your work
Preparation and strategy building are important!
No strategy is necessarily the “right” strategy
Activities can affect one another, both positively "
More Key Takeaways
Don’t do it alone!
• Advocates, board members, other organizations – get help!
Not everything will work the same for every "
Make donating easy for your donors and make it "
It’s important to test things out before a campaign "
Now that you’ve played a Crowdfunding Game, it’s "
time to put your skillsto good use!
Use the tips and suggestions from the game to "
develop a full crowdfunding strategy for your "
organization to use in campaign
• Include any of the activities you like as much as you like
• Just remember, everything takes time!
How to Join GlobalGiving
How to apply and why you should
Features and Beneﬁts
Campaign fundraising and long-term fundraising
We can help you be more efﬁcient fundraisers
Training and one-on-one support from our staff
Widgets for your website and other great tools
Our website is already mobile friendly J
Thank-you notes and project reports are built in
Get new donors
GlobalGiving’s donor network
• GiftAid donations for UK donors to your project
Our work with Feedback Labs
• GlobalGiving is a founding member and works to test"
and develop better feedback tools for nonproﬁts
GlobalGiving’s Impact Work
• Rewarding organizations that are learning
• Providing more tools and data to organizations
How to join
• Guidestar integration
• Next Deadline = October 24th, 2015
Project Posting through our platform
• Raise $5,000 from 40 donors in a month
• December 1st through December 31st
• $20,000 in Bonus funds for participants
Friends of ENCA Organic Farm
Email: email@example.com or"
Phone: +1 (202) 232-5784
Join GlobalGiving: www.globalgiving.org/apply
Please take a few minutes to complete the short survey!