GIULIANA MARTINI RYAN
MARKETING EVENTS MANAGER.
Residence: 19 Davidson Street Bedfordview Johannesburg
Tel: (27) 11 6166073
Cell : 27 82 447 7169
Skype Name: gillmartini
Date of Birth: 31.05.1959 Rome Italy
Nationality: South African / Italian
Languages: English, Italian and Afrikaans
French – Fair understanding
Education: Matriculated: Loreto Convent, Pretoria.
Wits University: Studied towards a BA LLB ( incomplete)
Damelin: Public Relations Diploma
Status: Married. Twin Daughters and Son
Computer Literacy: Word, Powerpoint, Excel.
Professional Associations: SAACI and PRISA
Achievements: 2016 Nominated 1 of the Top 40 Women in The MICE Industry in SA.
Runner up: Italian Business Person of the Year 2008
Member Ministerial Task Team Events ( DAC)
Over 20 years’ experience in Event Management , Communications and Marketing ensuring that
some of South Africa’s most prestigious Events have been managed in a professional manner. My
marketing experience has ensured strategic growth and product visibility for the events I have
managed . Events are not “parties” but an important tool in an overall marketing campaign that allows
Client to convey a message to their respective target audience. That is where my strength lies.
Having owner managed my business has taught me valuable people / team management skills and
financial management. I am passionate, persuasive and articulate. I am dedicated to my profession
and to transferring skills to my Team
DEMONSTRATED SUCCESS IN :
• Value Add, Overcoming Challenges and Securing Success of complex Projects.
• Understanding and implementing the desired outcomes for the Sales, marketing and Public
• Experience with both ad agency, direct sales, Promotions and Brand Activations.
• Motivating Team to peak performance levels.
• Proven record of initiative and success in Project Management within the Corporate and Public
• Relationships between the Public and Private Sectors.
• Tender / Bidding Process.
• Public Relations: Development of Key Messages, Product Profiling, Identification of key target
• Project Management: Conceptualization, Execution, Budget Control, Status Reports and
• Ad Campaign Management.
• Strategic Planning. Marketing and Communication Strategy.
• Financial Management.
• Sponsorship Management.
• Client Relationship Management.
• Exhibition and Conference Management.
HIGHLIGHTED CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS
• 2016 International Law Association Conference
• BRICS Conference Durban 2015 Albert Luthuli ICC.
• Project Manager : SAIREC International Conference 2015 CTICC 1800 delegates
• Project Manager: COP 17 Durban - Dept Environmental Affairs. Budget R45m.
• Project Manager SAMSUNG Africa Forum Nairobi Kenya Exhibition and Conference.
• WSSD Earth Summit Johannesburg : Earth Lounge Budget R28m
World Parks Congress.
• Presidential Inaugurations: Presidents Mandela and Mbeki. ( R16m and R27m)
• Cabinet Legotlas
National Orders. The Presidency.
• Public Relations and Marketing: Alberton City Shopping Centre, Brooklyn Mall, Elradus
Park and Mutual Village, Oats So Easy, ANC Manifesto 1999, Smirnoff Fashion Awards, Jack
Daniels Jazz Festival. J&B Met. DAC National Language Laboratory.
• Sports Management: Zone VI Youth Development Games ( 10 participating SADEC
Countries, 7 Sporting Codes, 3000 athletes) BP Top 8 Events Manager, Bafana Bafana Fund
Raising Events, MTN CAF Sports Awards,SA 2006 Bid Events Manager, Mandela Cup Event
Manager,1st SABC Public Viewing Areas ( Tshwane, Soweto and Port Elizabeth), SABC
SoccerExpo, SoccerEx Cannes and Los Angeles ( SA BID), 1996 SA African Cup of Nations
Events Manager .Corporate Days.
• Brand Activations: Tiger Brands and Distillers; Conceptualization, Implementation, Evaluation.
• State Banquets; HRH Queen Elizabeth, HRH Queen Sofia of Spain Presidents: Clinton, Castro,
Chirac and Campi
• Sponsorship Management:
• International Law Association Conference 2016
• SAIREC 2015
• Coca Cola, MTN, Castle Lager and Vodacom.
• Bafana Bafana Matches
• Zone VI Youth Games
PHAMBILI AFRICAN EVENTS: 1990 TO PRESENT.
I founded Phambili African Events in 1990, after having worked for several years in Marketing/
Communications and PR, both in the Corporate and FMCG Industries.
Areas of Expertise
• Sports Industry: My experience is vast in this field including Tournament Director, Public
Relations, Broadbased Events Management, Marketing and Communications including the
development of electronic mass communications. Sponsorship procurement and Relationship
management. Project Management of Sports Exhibitions and Roadshows.
• Shopping Malls: Identified Target Markets, Developed marketing and Communications
plan. Briefed advertising agencies and managed relevant budgets. Developed and managed
promotions, competitions. Identified alternative revenue streams. Managed Tenant
Communications and Public Relations.
• Local Organizing Committee Member: President Mandela and Mbeki Inaugurations,
invaluable experience gained in Government Modus operandi. Attention to detail and
meticulous project planning. Inter - Ministerial Committees. International and Government
Protocol. Liaison with Foreign Heads of State forward Teams. Developed an intensive high
• International Conferences, Exhibitions:
• 2015 SAIREC Conference and Exhibition.
• 2011 COP 17 Project Manager Department Environmental Affairs,
• SAMSUNG African Forum Kenya 3000 Delegates from the African Continent.
• WSSD Earth Summit
• CAF Conference,
• International Environmental Ministers Conference,
• SA Exhibition Rome Italy,
• World Parks Congress Protocol Manager, SanParks Exhibition Manager,
• SA 2006 Bid: Events Manager (3 years) Exhibitions in Cannes, Los Angeles Experience in
International lobbying. Project Management of multi million rand events.
I believe that there is no better qualification than experience and age… that being said I believe that
the successes I have had are because of the team I surround myself with.
I am an extrovert who enjoys working with different people.
I am a good manager who is able to direct the team to achieve a common goal.
I have an inclusive as opposed to exclusive approach to managing a project.
I am a goal driven person and expect the same from the team.
I teach, listen, plan and execute.
I am loyal and expect the same loyalty from my team.
I have passion and compassion.
I am able to detect challenges and solve them as soon as they arise.
I expect people to work at the same pace as I do.
I am not a clock watcher and therefore am not very tolerant to people who are.
I work to a project and time plan and expect my team to be as dedicated to this as I am.
I work at a very fast pace and get irritated when others don’t.
I believe I shall be an asset to your company. I am up to the challenge to leave a footprint.
MANTRA: BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD
Ms. Lucille Myer Ex DDG. The Presidency
President Thabo Mbeki
Present CEO Chrystallis
Ms. Christine Lins IREC Paris +33144375090
Dr. Karen Surridge Talbot
Dr Thembakazi Mali
SANEDI - SAIREC Conference 110384322 083 2930734
Ms. Wendy Ndlovu Competition Commission
( BRICS CONFERENCE)